New to the Forum and Horology

Bigwooly

Howdy y'all,

I have recently taken up a new interest in watch movements.  I am a 41 yr old IT professional.  So tiny screws are something I've dealt with before, delicate ribbon cables in cell phones that you can sneeze on and tear them.  I got recommended a video by youtube of Wristwatch Revival.  I was hooked!
I've take some steps like all new people I'm sure.  1st was looking through the list of tools recommended to get started, proceeding to have a heart attack.  Then coming to terms with the same thing that is true of all hobbies, cheap tools are only good for so much but usually they are enough to get you started.

I took to ebay like most people do when they are looking for a 1st project.  I purchased (what turned out to be) an elgin grade 345 pocket watch.  It was sold as running, I figured starting with something that at least ran would give me a better chance of success.  I have it taken completely apart and will be getting it all cleaned and try to get it back together this weekend.   With regards to it running.  It would start ticking with a wind and a gentle shake.  The beat was fairly erratic to my ear.  It had a broken off tip on the hour hand.  I found a set of NOS hands that were the same style so, I've already bought those and they have arrived.

I do have a concern about something I found when taking it apart however, I will save those questions until I've had some time to go digging through the forums and see if it's something that folks have come across before.

I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself.

Thanks for reading,

Bigwooly

Horay for using the search!

This is exactly what I found with my watch.  I'm hoping that mine is the same situation.  The only difference I found was that my watch the washer appeared to be between the pinion and the jewel hole the center wheel goes through.

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

What exactly is an  IT professional? 

I usually describe it as I'm a nerd for a living.  I've got quite the title that really doesn't even begin to encompass all of what we do.  I do all sorts of work in Azure AD, Endpoint, Exchange, and much more.