Should I replace this spring?

Rixy

I have taken a Smiths strike clock spart and on looking at the time side spring there appear to be little tears by the outer hole (see photo). The strike spring d20230902_202808.thumb.jpg.4ca10cada4c2205b4c7a1b8dff517636.jpg20230902_202802.thumb.jpg.59f842223e35cd838b4f531da72da44c.jpg20230902_202818.thumb.jpg.f237c4e15a9ec4c9a352e9e833e80fd3.jpgoes not have these. Do you think I should buy a new spring? (I have a spring winder)

• Like 1

Hi  i think we have two options here.  Cut off and remake the spring end and re fit or replace the spring with new.  In its present state if re fitted its going to tear even further and break, this will likley cause further damage ,  broken , bent teeth. So best to effect the repair or replace now hilst the clock is in bits.   relube with Windles .. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks WW. I thought as much. I need to get a few things from Cousins so I'll add it to the order.

I need to get some more solution for the ultrasonic. Have been using Priory Polishes No 1 (ammoniated). Is Horolene better and can it be used in an ultrasonic?

Hi Joe. Exactly so if the spring is tired and set it’s useless and will not deliver the power required. Repairing a duff spring is a waste of time.  I think it’s question of experience and common sense when assessing the spring, you can some times re vitalise a spring by placing the loose end in a vice and stretching the coils. This is only a short cut and will not last . Depends if the client is willing to pay for a new spring.

• Thanks 1

Replace the spring. Windles clock oil is the best you can use, as far as I know they only make one type. Cutting springs down when the ends have broken is bad practice, for starters you shorten the spring so the spring might not do its job in having the length it needs to run the clock or work the strike. The spring is old so it will not work so well as a new one.   Priory one, never heard of it in my days that is why I always used Horolene but I think they both do the same type of job. With Horolene make sure you have good ventilation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2