Hi all from Lincoln - UK

Good evening all, I look forward to chewing your experienced ears off as I start my horology journey.

I've an ideal sized home office which is going to be turned into my workshop so as a typical bloke, im looking forward to purchasing my tools and getting the movements I do have running a hell of a lot better.

One project I've got and am keen to do is a Waltham pocket watch passed down to me from my grandad, it's hammered so will be a real labour of love to get this running and looking beautiful again.

Anyhow, I've rambled on for long enough, I know where the search tab is so I'll be reading, studying and thoroughly enjoy my time here.

Cheers

Steve

Many thanks for the welcome 😃

Well, my journey is starting on an old replica Planet Ocean I've had lying about for the past ten years.

Im going to get familiar disassembling and (trying) to reassemble the movement, taking pictures along the way.

Hopefully it'll get me familiar with things before I move onto decent stuff.

9FCC8128-3391-4F41-A6E2-7A81D247A2CC.jpeg

Looks like you are on your way, remember we are here to help, and offer our 100s of years of combines experience. My golden rule "if you are forcing it, you are breaking it!" A lesson i repeatedly learned the hard way!

Noticed you don't have one of these:

Screenshot_20230830-113859.thumb.png.e6afeff13addc8b5f77d3db6d7884813.png

Cheap as chips, and worth its weight in gold, use it for opening 90% of my watches with zero risk of slipping/scratching.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waggy said:

Looks like you are on your way, remember we are here to help, and offer our 100s of years of combines experience. My golden rule "if you are forcing it, you are breaking it!" A lesson i repeatedly learned the hard way!

Noticed you don't have one of these:

Screenshot_20230830-113859.thumb.png.e6afeff13addc8b5f77d3db6d7884813.png

Cheap as chips, and worth its weight in gold, use it for opening 90% of my watches with zero risk of slipping/scratching.

Hi mate,

I've actually got one, and the Rolex dies including the Deepsea Sea Dweller. so casebook removal is taken care of 😀

Some of my stuff is in the drawers below.

I just need to get an overhead camera/phone desk mount so I can record disassembly of the movements as im bound to come unstuck!!

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 7:02 PM, Mightynimrod said:

One project I've got and am keen to do is a Waltham pocket watch passed down to me from my grandad, it's hammered so will be a real labour of love to get this running and looking beautiful again.

I visited the little display at the old Waltham factory today. Here is where your Watch was made! From just a few hours ago…

IMG_0535.thumb.jpeg.76755fcf2ef9600a560bcb1b811474f5.jpeg

…my trip was otherwise a dud. I tried to visit the Waltham Museum where I thought there was a Depollier and some pocket watches. Unfortunately the doors were locked during visiting hours. Government efficiency wins again…

Here’s a peek at the watches owned by a friend, passed down from ancestors who worked at the factory…

69076151488__467F1E8F-7C79-40A0-8392-CC5B573AAFC0.jpeg

IMG_3069.jpeg

• Like 2