What do you think of this clock?

oldhippy

I haven't done a competition in long time. So as the headline says. What do you think of this clock. The winner with the best answer wins a peanut. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115896092912?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m5057.l9429&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=3236060721db4588875f02d6d29f04e4&bu=43419297739&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20230824013836&segname=11021

I'd buy it, but only because I was curious.  It looks rather like somebody found a hand-crafted movement that they really liked - and they wanted to cram it into the first decent (and slightly more modern) case they came across, to both protect it and put it to use.  And then discovered that the doggone pendulum hangs so low that it'll just sit on the bottom and not move.  So they got out some wood gouges and carved a little trough for the pendulum to swing in.  Then they got worried they'd forget how to work the clock so they pasted some hand-written instructions inside.  
But other than that, it looks okay  🙂

Addendum: that movement looks really old, even on closer inspection of the pictures, but with limited clock knowledge I couldn't say how old.  I still think the case is a bit newer, and very likely not originally made for this movement.  It seems like an unhappy marriage.  Poor thing.

Edited by KarlvonKoln
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I haven't done a competition in long time. So as the headline says. What do you think of this clock. The winner with the best answer wins a peanut. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115896092912?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m5057.l9429&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=3236060721db4588875f02d6d29f04e4&bu=43419297739&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20230824013836&segname=11021

What an excellent choice, brilliant and intuitive, I love it, now may I have a peanut?

It kinda, sorta, looks, almost like what it pretends to  be, but I've seen better reproductions. For example. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145216604291?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=7101533165274578&mkcid=2&itemid=145216604291&targetid=4585169652812023&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=412354547&mkgroupid=1305120599331881&rlsatarget=pla-4585169652812023&abcId=9300541&merchantid=87779&msclkid=b06d41843dcc192b07e4256cb967727e

Now I have to be really clear here, am I in line to win a packing peanut or the seed of a subtropical legume? Its important, because I'm allergic to packing peanuts, they bring me out in a cold sweat every time I end up accidentally spilling them all over the floor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Certainly is an odd ball. The movement looks old but the plates are riveted not pinned the pillars look plain although not seen clearly enough to determine. Plain unmarked plate good thickness, ?   Age again unless you get your hands on it for a close inspection I would. Not guess, the escapement cock looks hand made .     The case seems to be over the top for such a movement. And the fact that the case has been altered to accommodate the pendulum and still looks short of any adjustment as the bob looks to be touching the bottom.  Price wise over the top for what looks like a Franken clock.  Indeterminate origin,  not for me . Too many ifs and buts.

2 hours ago, AndyHull said:

It kinda, sorta, looks, almost like what it pretends to  be, but I've seen better reproductions. For example. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145216604291?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=7101533165274578&mkcid=2&itemid=145216604291&targetid=4585169652812023&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=412354547&mkgroupid=1305120599331881&rlsatarget=pla-4585169652812023&abcId=9300541&merchantid=87779&msclkid=b06d41843dcc192b07e4256cb967727e

Now I have to be really clear here, am I in line to win a packing peanut or the seed of a subtropical legume? Its important, because I'm allergic to packing peanuts, they bring me out in a cold sweat every time I end up accidentally spilling them all over the floor. 

I can rarely get the laughing thumbs up to work, and couldn't this time either, but dangit that was funny!!🤣😂😅 I get hostile about it, and they do next to no good in the first place! 

56 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

There are two winding arbours at the front but only one has a bearing in the back plate! ..? …

The sellers description: „The movement has a false winding hole to the left so that the dial is not uneven in appearance.“

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

So you are all coming up with answers some funny. What I want to know is, is it correct and if not what is wrong and what is it called. 

"is it correct"? - I highly doubt it.  I may not know clocks well, but I know several things about it which are incorrect.
"and if not what is wrong"? - Firstly: the price.  The price seems rather wrong.  Secondly: I'm going to say using sub par woodworking skills and probably also a shoehorn to squeeze this...um...er..."sterling" example of the clockmaker's craft into a much smaller case.  
"and what is it called"? - 'abomination' seems rather harsh.  How about 'travesty'?

Edited by KarlvonKoln
  • Haha 1

What we have here is what is known as a Marriage in the trade. That means a clock case and movement that never started out as one. The case and movement have been altered to fit. But this has a slight difference. It is a three parts marriage because the dial never started out to fit the movement this is because of the two winding holes.

1 The case as you can see has part of the bottom cut away to accommodate the length of the pendulum. This tells you right away nether were made to fit each other. The top of the case has been altered, instead of signs of a handle it has had a piece of wood put inside the top you can see the grain doesn’t match.

2. Movement this in unfinished, It is more likely an apprentice piece. It is easy to see the intention was for the end result to be a strike. If it was to be just a timepiece the design of the train would have been different so the winding arbor would have been at 6 o’clock and not at 3.

3 Dial this is a very nice dial and dates around 1760 the hands are also in keeping with the dial. Due to the lack of photos I cannot see how it has been adapted, but I can assure you it has been altered. 

See what I mean by the top.

Thanks for participating and I think you all deserve a bag of peanuts each.

Case Top.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Anyone who knows about clocks wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't give it house room £300 would be about right. 

That much? It’s not anything good or special in any way, the opposite in my eyes.

Tom

Hi, I have joined today.  Wales UK.  I came to your "competition" late but agree.  I thought from the start an overpriced marriage.  I am no Horologist but do have 40 years experience dealing in the Antique trade.  I have sold a lot of Arts and Crafts period clocks, both long and short.  I had an excellent Horologist John,  and always relied on his skills to service and restore the movements leaving the cases to my skills.  We have both retired now and I have one or two clocks left in my stock that I never got round to finishing and selling.  This is how I came across your site as I was looking to teach myself how to restore a Gothic revival steal and iron large mantel, or more likely sideboard clock with a relatively common French striking movement.  There aren't any Horologists within 50 miles of where I live in Wales.  I have downloaded your instructions for setting up the strike wheels and intend to take out and try to fix the hour hand wheel that has detached from the drive. Here are some pics I took of the case  a few months ago.  I you are interested I can send pics of the movement later.

20230705_191246.jpg

20230704_181737.jpg

20230707_181557.jpg

• Like 1

Certainly in the style of Gothic. I myself do not like the hands, to heavy looking. If you need held with the movement just ask. You will need quite a few tools and a clock mainspring winder to clean and polish the movement properly. At a stage in my horology days I used to advise a well known Antique shop on what to buy at auctions.