What do you think of this clock?

oldhippy

On 8/30/2023 at 1:35 PM, Bento said:

Hi, I have joined today.  Wales UK.  I came to your "competition" late but agree.  I thought from the start an overpriced marriage.  I am no Horologist but do have 40 years experience dealing in the Antique trade.  I have sold a lot of Arts and Crafts period clocks, both long and short.  I had an excellent Horologist John,  and always relied on his skills to service and restore the movements leaving the cases to my skills.  We have both retired now and I have one or two clocks left in my stock that I never got round to finishing and selling.  This is how I came across your site as I was looking to teach myself how to restore a Gothic revival steal and iron large mantel, or more likely sideboard clock with a relatively common French striking movement.  There aren't any Horologists within 50 miles of where I live in Wales.  I have downloaded your instructions for setting up the strike wheels and intend to take out and try to fix the hour hand wheel that has detached from the drive. Here are some pics I took of the case  a few months ago.  I you are interested I can send pics of the movement later.

20230705_191246.jpg

20230704_181737.jpg

20230707_181557.jpg

Hi Old Hippey,

Thanks for your reply.

I will be having a go at the strike wheels set up you posted this afternoon.  If I fail I will post pics for advice. Thanks,  Steve