Sternkreuz alternative wont fit on Seiko watch

Hello Everyone!

i have a bunch of Seiko 66-7100 that are waiting to be serviced. The first step was getting the proper crystals since they are quite specific. According to parts lists and people who know better than me, the Sternkreuz reference is xs317.407 (originals seem to be impossible to find)

however, I simply cannot get them to fit on any watch and I have had the same problem with almost all these special sternkreuz references. I have had two Rolexes where the corresponding references don’t fit. Should I keep away from these in the future or is there a way to make them fit? The problem is always that the bezel can’t be pressed on no matter how hard you press because the glass is just always a little too wide.

any answers are greatly appreciated(:

6AAFA781-95AF-466D-B340-76D939687AB7.jpeg

F45D7114-018C-432B-AC85-CB070E827228.jpeg

BA64EE2C-A7A2-4682-8FD7-0A1021824EC6.jpeg

4303A1B9-3E51-459A-AA01-79F40B462CF0.jpeg

The original is a 315W02AN so the 317.407 is going to be a tad large for the bezel to seat properly by 0.02mm. I have also had issue with some  Sternkreuz acrylic crystals. 

I would try a generic 31.5mm high dome crystal and see if that works.  

16 minutes ago, BrehmerR said:

Hello Everyone!

i have a bunch of Seiko 66-7100 that are waiting to be serviced. The first step was getting the proper crystals since they are quite specific. According to parts lists and people who know better than me, the Sternkreuz reference is xs317.407 (originals seem to be impossible to find)

For the 66-7100 Cousins list the XS317.407

image.png.844dfd9e7e82499e8eef11a22edac15c.png

And according to the Sternkreuz catalogue, this is the correct crystal

image.png.09d38f622c925aa25bc96c5490787165.png

According to the Seiko number, the diameter is 31.5 mm. But, doesn't 317.407 signify 31.7mm ? 

Hence your problem ?

I've used a 317.407 on a Seiko 6602-7040 and it worked. It was some time ago so I'm not sure, but maybe I couldn't fit the bezel using my cheapo crystal press because the crystal was a bit high for my dies, so IIRC I ended up pressing the bezel manually, using the bezel dissasembly knife to press arround it.

e20210113_125528.thumb.jpg.1a0b1152445cf2b000c17075975e67a5.jpg

4 hours ago, aac58 said:

I've used a 317.407 on a Seiko 6602-7040 and it worked. It was some time ago so I'm not sure, but maybe I couldn't fit the bezel using my cheapo crystal press because the crystal was a bit high for my dies, so IIRC I ended up pressing the bezel manually, using the bezel dissasembly knife to press arround it.

e20210113_125528.thumb.jpg.1a0b1152445cf2b000c17075975e67a5.jpg

I have a really nice crystal press, yet the bezel is not moving a millimeter because it’s so tight.

one strange thing I am noticing is that the 317.407 I bought 3 months ago is a different shape than the three I bought just a week ago. Also, ypur crystal seems to have a different shape than my 317.407 crystals. The difference is the angle and sharpness lf the corner that transitions from the edge of the crystal to the dome of the crystal. Is this right?

1 hour ago, BrehmerR said:

ypur crystal seems to have a different shape than my 317.407 crystals

Ummm, I'm sorry, that's because I uploaded the wrong watch that have the original (polished) crystal.

I've double-checked that this is the right watch with the SK crystal (can be verified here) In this pic the shape can't be seen as clearly. I'm away from home, but I can take more photographs of it next week if you need it.

20230301_131401.thumb.jpg.2bee66d5069dabad029905e4f78d37c0.jpg