Hi all, this topic may have been discussed already. If so please direct me there. I have a 1959 Bulova clipper watch that I would like to repair, and I haven't been able to find any info on how to remove the movement. The movement is a 11 afac. It looks like I could just drop it out the back, but it only spins in the case. Any tips ot tricks to remove the movement. 

16896264256267857782834931297499.jpg

58 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

Did you remove the stem and movement ring first?

I'm curious how those case screws came out from under the movement ring!

But yes, agreed. I also like to remove the automatic works before uncasing if possible. Usually makes things easier, and you don't have weird offset pressure on the counterweight shaft when you uncase it.

5 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

I'm curious how those case screws came out from under the movement ring!

But yes, agreed. I also like to remove the automatic works before uncasing if possible. Usually makes things easier, and you don't have weird offset pressure on the counterweight shaft when you uncase it.

There may not have been any. A lot of the Bulova's I've worked on have the cutouts for the screws but almost never have screws/clamps. In fact off the top of my head I can only think of 1 that did.

• Like 1

This looks like it may be a front loader, in which case you will need to remove the bezel and the stem and the whole thing should drop out through the front.

Good close up pics of the case side on would help to clarify whether or not this is a possibility.

It's hard to tell without seeing the dial but I think this may be the Yankee Clipper, which is not a front loader. The movement ring may be rusted to the case, try to carefully pry it up and out.

Edited by GuyMontag

46 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

movement ring may be rusted to the case

When I zoom in, I do see rust at the stem region.  I bet you are right.  If it were me, and the movement does not budge, I would disassemble in situ as much as possible.  Once all of the critical parts are removed, the main plate might be easy to push out from the dial side...carefully.  I have used this method once with success.

It would help to see a picture of the dial side.

I did manage to get the movement out. The movement ring was very stuck. Now I am left with another dilemma, the crystal is very cracked. It is a 26.5mm round. Where is the best place to find a replacement and should I go a little bit bigger? Forgive the dirty fingernails, I am at work. 

16898801198702674513141505340392.jpg

16898802481817235200008941437048.jpg

13 minutes ago, Guy said:

I did manage to get the movement out. The movement ring was very stuck. Now I am left with another dilemma, the crystal is very cracked. It is a 26.5mm round. Where is the best place to find a replacement and should I go a little bit bigger? Forgive the dirty fingernails, I am at work. 

16898801198702674513141505340392.jpg

16898802481817235200008941437048.jpg

https://www.watchfix.com/watch-repair-tools-parts-suppliers/