Trying To Learn

Good day to all.  I'm here because I have a thing for Seiko automatic watches.  My dad purchased one in 1965 and wore it on a Native American sterling & turquoise watch band until he lost his sight some 25 years ago. That's when it was handed down to me. I found out he never had it serviced yet it still worked well overall. I had a bad experience having it serviced through Seiko and it has since ticked it's last tock. Ebay was my source for several similar replacements, one of which has worked well for the past 7 years but it's time for a cleaning. So I bought a Seiko ladies automatic from the 70s for my wife and before I mount that on a NA watchband similar to mine I figured it was time for me to learn how to take care all of these myself.  No prior experience with watches but last year I purchased a nonworking grandfather clock and have successfully cleaned, lubricated and gotten it running.  I'm not afraid to be unsuccessful in a couple of practice runs with the 'extra' watches before working on our preferred ones. I will be searching for posts relating specifically to this servicing and wouldn't mind if anyone sent me to specific posts for this! (p.s. I thought this true story was nicer than just I'm Cheap And Want To Do It Myself)
-LeoSeiko.thumb.jpg.a3fbace4cae6f4eb748c8e1b26806a8c.jpg

10 hours ago, TryingToLearn said:

Good day to all.  I'm here because I have a thing for Seiko automatic watches.  My dad purchased one in 1965 and wore it on a Native American sterling & turquoise watch band until he lost his sight some 25 years ago. That's when it was handed down to me. I found out he never had it serviced yet it still worked well overall. I had a bad experience having it serviced through Seiko and it has since ticked it's last tock. Ebay was my source for several similar replacements, one of which has worked well for the past 7 years but it's time for a cleaning. So I bought a Seiko ladies automatic from the 70s for my wife and before I mount that on a NA watchband similar to mine I figured it was time for me to learn how to take care all of these myself.  No prior experience with watches but last year I purchased a nonworking grandfather clock and have successfully cleaned, lubricated and gotten it running.  I'm not afraid to be unsuccessful in a couple of practice runs with the 'extra' watches before working on our preferred ones. I will be searching for posts relating specifically to this servicing and wouldn't mind if anyone sent me to specific posts for this! (p.s. I thought this true story was nicer than just I'm Cheap And Want To Do It Myself)
-LeoSeiko.thumb.jpg.a3fbace4cae6f4eb748c8e1b26806a8c.jpg

Welcome Leo. You will want to identify the movement inside before you start looking for posts and technical sheets. Case numbers or remove the back to see what you have.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 2:38 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Welcome Leo. You will want to identify the movement inside before you start looking for posts and technical sheets. Case numbers or remove the back to see what you have.

Thank you for that. I guess the best way to start would be to pick a learner and search for that.  I'm going to go for a 2906-0019  TL   Serial 746283  dated to April 1977.  

I would appreciate clarification of "or remove the back to see". Does this mean the 2906 is NOT the movement?

2 hours ago, TryingToLearn said:

Thank you for that. I guess the best way to start would be to pick a learner and search for that.  I'm going to go for a 2906-0019  TL   Serial 746283  dated to April 1977.  

I would appreciate clarification of "or remove the back to see". Does this mean the 2906 is NOT the movement?

The first set of numbers of the case number is the calibre number which is also stamped on the movement itself, there maybe versions of that movement A B C. The second set i believe relates to the case itself and is the design. 

TryingToLearn

Welcome. As someone who is a relative beginner. I still rate myself as such after 19 month. If I may make a suggestion. Your Seiko, although not expensive in the price range, is infinitely so to you. Don't begin on your watch until you have had practice on other watches of the same number 2906. 

I made the mistake of beginning with my own watch. Sorry I did. I can easily do a service now. But the cost of replacing the parts that I knackered has far exceeded the cost of the watch many times over.

Not sure where in the world you are

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193298594737?hash=item2d017e7bb1:g:T~wAAOSwO7pchuT-&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4GrtYCxOQ2K%2FGmaxUibhJo8L5357e8tVsb8IQpqGv0dtHK%2BDZCnookyoj7U93J3%2BakOYxnMI7zJsnaDKKtnEhVSiKyHYDUK9FJqBwBYIRWH%2FMV3c5MaKGJDmhDMBJ9NGug0F15g38CUR6utrxLNI%2BAwUXugaEwDJem4TQVd5VpzF94TFv0hxJ%2Bb%2F8YzH%2BHheeXzzxuWB81hhqimge7vcMCcb6lKOkS%2FvKz4NLwcGI9Y8RUxV%2BlOzd19eJ222ksel0SGTCLQs4ylUUELjojqq3SyocD6VDhI%2F7%2BI1xC7Qisyf|tkp%3ABk9SR8SQ_KOmYg

Hope this helps

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
  • Like 1

Welcome.

I would second Ross’s advice regarding learning on your own watch.

You can obtain a scrap 2906 movement from SpeedTimerKollektion for 7 Euros. Great for practice and a source of parts. The learning curve in watch repair is steep. It takes time to develop skills, acquire tools etc. You will break/lose things so a few scrap movements are ideal for learning on. 

btw, here is the 2906 tech guide

14 2906A.pdf

Edited by JohnFrum
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 12:58 PM, TryingToLearn said:

I'm not afraid to be unsuccessful in a couple of practice runs with the 'extra' watches before working on our preferred ones. I will be searching for posts relating specifically to this servicing and wouldn't mind if anyone sent me to specific posts for this! (p.s. I thought this true story was nicer than just I'm Cheap And Want To Do It Myself)

tthe problem with this approach is we don't have an infinite supply of watches to destroy in the process of learning.. Although it depends on what you want to learn on some watches we do a infinite supply.

On 7/7/2023 at 2:23 PM, rossjackson01 said:

I made the mistake of beginning with my own watch. Sorry I did. I can easily do a service now. But the cost of replacing the parts that I knackered has far exceeded the cost of the watch many times over.

ideally with watch repair  the recommendation I always tell people is to start with the Chinese clone  findable on eBay of the 6497. Basically it's a really big   wristwatch movement under the term pocket watch. They're cheap if you break it nobody cares  and it's a good way to learn about watch repair. plus it doesn't have all the little complications like automatic calendar etc.

I always like to see pictures to see what were dealing with so  pictures can be found here and whether the movement had variations..  Basically a small ladies automatic movement not recommended for beginners at least I wouldn't but that's just my recommendation.

https://calibercorner.com/seiko-caliber-2906a/

42 minutes ago, TryingToLearn said:

Is there a site for Seiko tech guides?

for instance here's a link to a site

https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/files

then there are some problems with technical guides often times they were originally scanned for parts lists only  this means servicing information may not even be in their work may be limited. Seiko is interesting in that  depending upon the original source they can very. For instance at the link below  we get a technical guide which I'm attaching you'll notice it has the parts list missing from the technical guide up above. Also it's in relatively low resolution and its black-and-white not in pretty colors

tthe pretty color version came out of basically a book because originally Seiko had everything and physical books and in this particular case the numbers in the front are the sections of the book. So for instance section number two I'm attaching which has things of interest related the Seiko watches.

02. Items common to all Seiko watches.pdf Seiko_2906A.pdf