Introducing myself

Hi everyone!  After watching some inspiring videos on YT I got the urge to try servicing a pocket watch. More videos led to learning an ETA 6497 movement … and then to a Smiths mantle clock. I don’t have the knowledge or confidence to do all that is required … but I think I’m making progress. 

I’ve been asked to look at my father in law’s Westminster chime mantle clock … it hasn’t been run for decades … and I have some questions, so I finally joined the forum here. 

Not sure I’ll be able to offer any help to anyone, but I might be able to offer an insight from the absolute beginner perspective. 

Looking forward to contacting with other members. Cheers!

Hi and welcome to the site.  Westminsters are not the best clocks to start on they are quite compljex.  Bes start with a single train  clock to get the feel of then then somthing.like a smiths two train striking clock, get some good books, Laurie Pennmans.  Clock repairers manual, , books by Mike watters,  Donald De Carle there are many on Amazon.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Martyn58 said:

Not sure I’ll be able to offer any help to anyone, but I might be able to offer an insight from the absolute beginner perspective. 

You will Martyn, there will always be someone that knows less than you do and always someone that knows more than you do. Welcome to the worlds best watch forum 🙂

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Martin.  You can contribute on anything ask questions on anything we are here to help you over the hurdles, a word of encouragement from you may help another who is starting out as well so feel free to have a go    What’s your location. Uk, USA, Europe?

45 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

What’s your location. Uk, USA, Europe?

Hi there  … I’m in Suffolk in the UK. Thanks for saying ‘Hello’ !