Do i buy this watch ?

Eyup watch peeps. I'm not particularly  asking for help or advice,  just airing  thoughts on my dilemma of whether to buy or not. I'm somewhat patriotic in the way i collect Smiths watches and have a fair few of them in different models in various stages of restored and mid restoration waiting for parts. A missing one to add to the collection is the Everest ( quite pricey depending on the condition and material ). But one has recently entered my radar and i just cant decide if i should buy it or not. The price is very very good for the model, working and the condition is good and completely original. Good except for the dial, the patination is lovely but some heavy spotting.  Its worse than anything I've encountered so not sure how i would even tackle it or should. Any thoughts , input are appreciated people.

Screenshot_20230531-202809_Vinted.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

28 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

If it were my watch, I would prolly send the dial to have it refinished. It is ugly in the current condition IMHO. This, of course is a very personal decision...but you asked

I agree the dial is terrible which is the cause of my dilemma, but I'm all about originality with watches the exterior especially so refinishing is a non starter for me. The movement is important and has to work efficiently and is nearly always repairable but nobody sees that apart from me. But the case and dial everbody sees, the dial condition is the make or break of my purchase. 

If the price is good I would go for it, or you'll regret it, especially if it fills a hole in your collection. I would do a sympathetic restore and just use flitz or similar on the case and a new worn looking strap and re-lume with tinted (coffee??) lume. This way you'll keep the watches rustic charm and the dial won't stick out like a sore thumb. As for the dial I would only remove any dust/debris etc and wouldn't go any further than that as you may end up snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

I think I could get used to the dial.

I agree, they all look x1000 worse under high magnification, even the pristine ones. On your wrist without your reading glasses it will look awesome!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Waggy said:

If the price is good I would go for it, or you'll regret it, especially if it fills a hole in your collection. I would do a sympathetic restore and just use flitz or similar on the case and a new worn looking strap and re-lume with tinted (coffee??) lume. This way you'll keep the watches rustic charm and the dial won't stick out like a sore thumb. As for the dial I would only remove any dust/debris etc and wouldn't go any further than that as you may end up snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

In good condition around  £600  this is £200

@Neverenoughwatches  I have seen NOS or LN astral dials in my late watch repairer's estate. 

Educate me of specifications of the dial you want please,  I  may could surprise you with a brand new dial for cheap.

What caliber is under the hood, I'd look it up.

Joe

Edited by Nucejoe
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup watch peeps. I'm not particularly  asking for help or advice,  just airing  thoughts on my dilemma of whether to buy or not. I'm somewhat patriotic in the way i collect Smiths watches and have a fair few of them in different models in various stages of restored and mid restoration waiting for parts. A missing one to add to the collection is the Everest ( quite pricey depending on the condition and material ). But one has recently entered my radar and i just cant decide if i should buy it or not. The price is very very good for the model, working and the condition is good and completely original. Good except for the dial, the patination is lovely but some heavy spotting.  Its worse than anything I've encountered so not sure how i would even tackle it or should. Any thoughts , input are appreciated people.

I'd be tempted. I'm a fan of Smiths too and I've been looking for an Everest for a while. What is the movement? I have a 19J Imperial Cal 0104 - lovely watch.

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

A redial is £100 to £150. Still a difficult question. 

A redial is something i couldn't live with. It would have to be an exact match and aged to be unnoticeable, a tall order for anyone.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

@Neverenoughwatches  I have seen NOS or LN astral dials in my late watch repairer's estate. 

Educate me of specifications of the dial you want please,  I  may could surprise you with a brand new dial for cheap.

What caliber is under the hood, I'd look it up.

Joe

Thanks joe. The calibre is an 0104

47 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I'd be tempted. I'm a fan of Smiths too and I've been looking for an Everest for a while. What is the movement? I have a 19J Imperial Cal 0104 - lovely watch.

The Imperial and Everest are almost identical apart from slight differences in dial markings and signature. Same calibre 0104 in fact the Everest automatic has Imperial signed on the rotor. I have actually just spotted a really good condition Imperial on Ebay for 250 or best offer. Basically the same watch except for the Everest signing.

39 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The Imperial and Everest are almost identical apart from slight differences in dial markings and signature. Same calibre 0104 in fact the Everest automatic has Imperial signed on the rotor. I have actually just spotted a really good condition Imperial on Ebay for 250 or best offer. Basically the same watch except for the Everest signing.

That's what I thought. So it's just the name on the dial which makes the Everest so much more expensive (apart from the auto which are rare and expensive).

I read that the 19J movements are the best, which is why I bought the Imperial. Think I might wear it today 😃

1.thumb.jpg.bdd913d01fe0aa90da4b3c98e53e59fb.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

That's what I thought. So it's just the name on the dial which makes the Everest so much more expensive (apart from the auto which are rare and expensive).

I read that the 19J movements are the best, which is why I bought the Imperial. Think I might wear it today 😃

1.thumb.jpg.bdd913d01fe0aa90da4b3c98e53e59fb.jpg

That is in beautiful condition Mike. The prices are very similar for the same model. The autos and sub dial Everest are 3x and 4x as much. I must admit i prefer the Imperial the signing is much nicer with the added crown. I think my mind is made up now. 👍

8 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

That is in beautiful condition Mike. The prices are very similar for the same model. The autos and sub dial Everest are 3x and 4x as much. I must admit i prefer the Imperial the signing is much nicer with the added crown. I think my mind is made up now. 👍

Go for it 😀

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thanks joe. The calibre is an 0104

I presumed the caliber show me the feet positions, google shows various bridge layouts. WHAT DIAL FEET POSITIONS DO I LOOK FOR?

I am sure I have seen Smith watch dials in his estate.

Rgds

Edited by Nucejoe

9 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

I presumed the caliber show me the feet positions, google shows various bridge layouts. WHAT DIAL FEET POSITIONS DO I LOOK FOR?

I am sure I have seen Smith watch dials in his esatate.

Rgds

I cant answer that Joe as the watch remains unpurchased. I appreciate your effort but take it no further please, I've just  looked at the watch again and the spring bar holes have worn completely through both lugs on one side. Cleverly hidden by an extra wide strap, i spotted something and asked the seller to confirm and post a close up. I very much appreciate the thought to source for me Joe.

Screenshot_20230601-122335_Vinted.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I cant answer that Joe as the watch remains unpurchased. I appreciate your effort but take it no further please, I've just  looked at the watch again and the spring bar holes have worn completely through both lugs on one side. Cleverly hidden by an extra wide strap, i spotted something and asked the seller to confirm and post a close up. I very much appreciate the thought to source for me Joe.

Screenshot_20230601-122335_Vinted.jpg

OK matey , but

First chance I get , I take and send you picture of his Smith dials. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

If any say "Imperial" or "Everest" they are worth getting.

Its often we come across Astrals and the de-luxe that have a dial letting them down. In the range is also the National 15 and 17 there may also be a 19 i cant remember.  I remember reading something about the name National being used to promote sales in an economy slump in the 60s.