This is how I sharpen pegwood

15 hours ago, DrHWO said:

I work in oak primarily and had some offcuts of this https://www.howarth-timber.co.uk/plywood-white-oak-veneered-single-side-2440-x-1220mm/. Sanded off at the edges and only needs to be 10cm by 10cm for my purposes. I had 6 ply, but for this, 3 ply would do. Ive found that for me, by supporting the last cut, subsequent ones are more accurate and less likely to result in tip snappage.

Ooo a joiner mate. Howarth Timber have just taken over my local independent timber merchant after 50 years. Its all changed, i dont like it 😔

On 6/15/2023 at 11:41 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ooo a joiner mate. Howarth Timber have just taken over my local independent timber merchant after 50 years. Its all changed, i dont like it 😔

I had the same experience with the Maltings (maybe thats your too!). Hey Ho, progress eh? I love wood, primarily because I've never had a piece of wood sue me for cutting off the wrong leg branch

Edited by DrHWO
Psychological profile amendment

• 3 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 2:22 PM, RichardHarris123 said:

Sorry but there is nothing special about Japanese blades.  Good quality blades from other countries are just as good and as sharp.

On 5/31/2023 at 5:03 PM, VWatchie said:

You may be 100 per cent correct. I wouldn't know. Next time I see a similar knife when shopping I'll get it and compare them. Maybe it is just "hype".

image.png.2cca38e4626a8f993c6da2e3f6b17053.png
So, I picked up this set from my local hardware store for £1.50 (!) so I'm not sure they can be called "good quality blades". To compare the sharpness to my Japanese blades I placed a new small blade in my Japanese blade holder and it did a decent job. My Japanese blades are noticeably sharper but it's certainly not a night and day difference. On the contrary, the difference is quite small and the inexpensive blades can certainly be used to sharpen peg wood.

However, it could be that the Japanese blades last longer, but taking the price difference into consideration that wouldn't make much of a difference.

As a general rule of thumb, I tell myself to get the best tools that I can reasonably afford, but in this case, especially if you're on a budget I'd say the cheap blades are good enough. That said, I will keep using my Japanese blades and probably order new ones when I run out if I can afford them by then.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

image.png.2cca38e4626a8f993c6da2e3f6b17053.png
So, I picked up this set from my local hardware store for £1.50 (!) so I'm not sure they can be called "good quality blades". To compare the sharpness to my Japanese blades I placed a new small blade in my Japanese blade holder and it did a decent job. My Japanese blades are noticeably sharper but it's certainly not a night and day difference. On the contrary, the difference is quite small and the inexpensive blades can certainly be used to sharpen peg wood.

However, it could be that the Japanese blades last longer, but taking the price difference into consideration that wouldn't make much of a difference.

As a general rule of thumb, I tell myself to get the best tools that I can reasonably afford, but in this case, especially if you're on a budget I'd say the cheap blades are good enough. That said, I will keep using my Japanese blades and probably order new ones when I run out if I can afford them by then.

I use these cheap as chips craft blades, they slice up pegwood nicely straight out of their packet, a little better with a few strokes across a fine Washita stone. I particularly like the short flat blades that come in handy for popping up a caseback or bezel but quickly lose their edge with this use. More expensive blades would be a thinner more durable steel with more effort put into sharpening them. 

Screenshot_20230920-144443_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

I've tried all sorts of craft blades to try and find the sharpest. I eventually found these on Amazon (about £9 for 15 blades). As it says on the pack, they are Double Honed, and easily the sharpest blades I've found. They seem to last quite well too.

I sharpen the pegwood with the tip flat against a block of wood. With these blades I can easily get a very fine point - I've even pegged balance hole jewels.

image.png.f35da57e601ccbf47af3996bb01da4e6.png

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

I just buy scalpel blades as I have 2+ handles for them 

I have a couple of disposable Swann Morton knifes with scalpel blades (I don't know if they are the best?) but the Excel blades have a much finer hone and sharper edge.

Excel with double hone top, scalpel blade below :

WIN_20230920_17_57_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.07c45b7c60bc94301fd66b4b2856610d.jpg

8 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I have a couple of disposable Swann Morton knifes with scalpel blades (I don't know if they are the best?) but the Excel blades have a much finer hone and sharper edge.

Excel with double hone top, scalpel blade below :

WIN_20230920_17_57_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.07c45b7c60bc94301fd66b4b2856610d.jpg

They are such short lifespans Mike I don’t bother too much. I sharpen my own kitchen knifes and get good results but these just do the job for me, you can do the same thing with a pocket knife like the old watchmaker’s likely did.

i really don’t think the sharpness of the knife in this case is a problem/issue, more our skill to create the point/shape we need.

Tom

P.S. we have lost so many skills over the last years 😢

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

i really don’t think the sharpness of the knife in this case is a problem/issue, more our skill to create the point/shape we need.

I think that is exactly the problem. The sharper the knife the easier it is the create a sharp point. With these sharper blades I can create a fine point in a fraction of the time it used to take me with standard blades - I'd often get fed up and give up after a while'

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

P.S. we have lost so many skills over the last years 😢

True, but we are (hopefully) gaining new ones 😀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I think that is exactly the problem. The sharper the knife the easier it is the create a sharp point. With these sharper blades I can create a fine point in a fraction of the time it used to take me with standard blades - I'd often get fed up and give up after a while'

True, but we are (hopefully) gaining new ones 😀

Somehow I feel the opposite for skills 😢