Setting wheel chamfer

Advice please. 

Am I correct is assuming that the setting wheel, when it has a chamfer, always has the chamfer edge placed down toward the sliding pinion?  The flat edge always to the top for contact with the plate that usually secures the minute wheel, hour wheel or other part of the keyless works.

Ross

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Thats how my common sense says it should be, yet I seen set mech working fine with set wheel installed upside down and no sign of wear. 

I always set them with the chamfer down. Some movements work fine with them either way, but I recently rebuilt an Omega and found the hand setting very stiff and not smooth. I found that I'd put the setting wheel with the chamfer side up - turned it over and all was well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GuyMontag, I am beginging to doubt my common sense now.

By intution one concludes , the chamfer is there to improve chance of mesh with the clutch. 

You don't believe me    !!!       ask Ross , he knows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

GuyMontag, I am beginging to doubt my common sense now.

By intution one concludes , the chamfer is there to improve chance of mesh with the clutch. 

You don't believe me    !!!       ask Ross , he knows. 

What is odd is that the 11AOACB and the 11ANACB are basically the same movement with quickset date added to the 11AOACB and pretty much everything else interchanges. But the 11ANACB the tech sheet does not call this out for the  setting wheel and every 11ANACB I've worked on had both of the setting wheels with the beveled edge facing down 🤷‍♂️

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the anecdotal evidence, but whenever I have finished a watch and the time setting seems to grind, or has that 'gritty feeling' I have always found that the chamfer is facing up, when changing this things always seem smoother. I have never experienced the opposite so now I always put chamfer down, which aligns with most of the advice on here and many of the watch videos I have seen on line. I suppose there will always be exceptions to this rule, but I would think if you always put it down you will be making the correct call 99% of the time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

The tech sheet for the Bulova 11AOACB calls out that of the two setting wheels, the one that meshes with the sliding pinion goes beveled side UP:

setting-wheel.thumb.jpg.a5259acd2ee6eabd7fb9961c6c9c7282.jpg

There's something else that is unconventional with Bulova's guidelines. Anyone else spotted it?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

The 'hairspring does not move freely .... but leans against the regulator pin'.

I knew that. Well, I do now that you've told me. I was just testing you...... Isn't it funny that something becomes obvious when someone points it out?

Edited by rossjackson01
grammar

11 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

There's something else that is unconventional with Bulova's guidelines. Anyone else spotted it?

I did see that when I read the tech sheet but I have to admit that I don't follow it. Same with their advice on how to oil the top pivot of the sweep second wheel. which doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1