Introduction to site

eltel

Hi, Terry here from Darkest Devon.

Just recently started looking at watches as a hobby, starting on fairly simple problems. managed to destroy a couple of cheapies. Howeve a so called friend has asked me to replace a broken stem and crown for him.  I thought this would not be too bad but i cannot even work out how to get the movement out of the case. Thewatch is a Cortina DS-1 automatic and looking inside it appears to me that there is a cover over what would be the exposed part of the stem so I cannot get at it(see photo). does this mean it is beyond my capabilities as it would mean a strip down or am I missing something. I wuld be grateful for any advice.

IMG_20230423_091207511.jpg

Hi. When you look at the stem where it fits into the watch you will notice a small key hole push a probe into the hole to find the stem release and with tweezers at the same time pull back the stem.     You will also notice (rh side) a stickler shaped clip there will be another opposite to release the movement once the clamps have been removed…. Move the rotor and have a look under the balance for a makers mark and calibre number, there may be a tech/parts sheet available at cousins uk. Document downloads.

Have tried pushing the release button. There is no sign of any movement.  Being new to this, every stem I have seen is a screw thread right down to the movement. This one does not have this and seems to be solid. The movement is 2825-2.