Hi all, 

I was hoping someone could help me progress work on a Smiths Everest watch movement (Cal. 10104F) I bought two and a half years ago. It’s missing the watch case and seconds hand.

I’ve unsuccessfully searched for a technical sheet so I can’t find the correct size of seconds hand to buy and have had no luck with sourcing a watch case on any of the usual platforms (thanks to the price of gold it seems).

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on how to proceed to a case and minute hand that fits?

Should I be looking for a case from a different make/model watch that I can retro fit? If so, are there any suggestions on where to start with that?

The more adventurous plan would be to cast a new case but that would still mean getting my hands on an existing case to create a mould and asking a caster if they could use it to cast a rough shape and then hand finish to fit.

Photos of the dial and back of the case movement are below.

The measurements of the movement are:

Dial Plate Diameter: 27.8mm

Movement Diameter: 26.6mm

Movement Case Holder: 31mm

Any guidance/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

6C69A05F-7EBC-4B04-BA14-57257B74EA77.jpeg

BBE5444D-A973-49B2-A3C7-6C5EC078D31C.jpeg

1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

Short of buying one, using it to take your measurements and then selling it on again afterwards, I'm not sure how you could proceed.

Thanks @AndyHull, despite considering myself to be a lateral thinker, that truly hadn’t occurred to me! I’ve only been looking for decrepit models but I’m also not sure I could risk a loss on a full price model just yet.

Appreciate your taking the time to search, definitely worth getting in touch with the seller and seeing if I can get the internal measurements.

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I wonder if the same case is used on different models?

I wondered the same thing @RichardHarris123, but haven’t managed to find any tech specs to identify a suitable model and confidence to buy something similar.

48 minutes ago, rehajm said:

Did Smiths use anything besides the Dennison Aquatite? I see those cases come up for sale from time to time...also some Everest donors that aren't cost prohibitive...

I’m not sure, but it’s promising that you’ve seen them come up. I’ll add “Dennison Aquatite” to my search terms. Thanks @rehajm.

Thanks chaps, I think the answer is to contact sellers and ask for internal dimensions of the cases and see where that gets me. The back up plan being to buy a full price model to mirror and then hopefully sell on.

I’ll update on my progress!

Edited by Tom32
Added final sentence.

Thanks Mike, it’s a lovely watch!

The booklet is really helpful, I’ll get on the hunt for an 0104F version (if one exists.

I’ve seen the Everest with an 0104E calibre movement as well, they’re very similar so I could keep an eye out for any of those coming for sale too.

I contacted the website you highlight but they didn’t have a suitable case unfortunately.

59 minutes ago, Tom32 said:

The booklet is really helpful, I’ll get on the hunt for an 0104F version (if one exists.

The above datasheet says it's for Cal 0104E and 0104G, so I guess it covers 0104F too?

On the above website there's some useful info on the model histories.  

• Like 1

You could try a watch materiel suppler and give them the cal of the movement and the size including the movement ring and the height. I see it is a sweep second movement but no hand fitted has the center wheel pivot broken? If not you need to consider extra height.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

You could try a watch materiel suppler and give them the cal of the movement and the size including the movement ring and the height.

Thanks @oldhippy, I’m only aware of Cousins, are there any other Watch material suppliers you’d suggesting contacting?

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I see it is a sweep second movement but no hand fitted has the center wheel pivot broken? If not you need to consider extra height.

The centre wheel pivot looks intact under the loop, will keep the extra clearance in mind.

Excellent stuff @watchweasol, thank you. I’d not come across those part sellers before. In truth, cousins, Esslinger and Otto Frei are the only suppliers I’ve heard of, and am reticent to use the latter two for fear of customs charges.

At the top of the forum you will see Resources click on that and follow to the country that you need. Here are a few that I dealt with many years ago. You can also do a search in google just type in watch material supplies in the uk.

H S Walsh & Sons

AG Thomas

Meadows & Passmore

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1