Electronic Wittnauer - Broken Dial Feet -

I use copper wire for the feet and a low fusing solder paste. I know you will be tempted to use a soldering iron but I found that a soldering iron produced more dial damage that all other methods I've tried.

My current method is to use about 2 inches of copper wire held in a helping hand, then heated with a microtorch about 1 cm above the dial. I sharpen the end of the wire, like the tip of a twist drill. The sharp point transfers less heat to the dial and the joint cleans up much nicer after soldering.

Try it on some scrap dials first.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

My current method is to use about 2 inches of copper wire held in a helping hand, then heated with a microtorch about 1 cm above the dial

Gonna call you on this Hector!  What is it with metric and English in a single sentence??  It is hard enough already!!  Please avoid using "smoot" unit of measurement in future posts.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I use copper wire for the feet and a low fusing solder paste. I know you will be tempted to use a soldering iron but I found that a soldering iron produced more dial damage that all other methods I've tried.

My current method is to use about 2 inches of copper wire held in a helping hand, then heated with a microtorch about 1 cm above the dial. I sharpen the end of the wire, like the tip of a twist drill. The sharp point transfers less heat to the dial and the joint cleans up much nicer after soldering.

Try it on some scrap dials first.

Exactly the same method i use Hector.  .7mm copper wire covers most sizes of dial feet and this solder paste. The dial i sit on a firm slightly damp sponge.

20230405_145454.jpg

24 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Gonna call you on this Hector!  What is it with metric and English in a single sentence??  It is hard enough already!!  Please avoid using "smoot" unit of measurement in future posts.

🤔 metric is English beginning around the mid 60s. Well mostly metric with a little imperial still hanging around because of us oldies and certain trades that refuse to change.  Being an old joiner i still use both.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Sorry. I grew up at a time when Imperial units were still used. I still process certain weights and measures in Imperial. Like room dimensions are easier to visualize in feet and inches. And it's easier to understand certain weights in pounds.

Really messed up, right? But it's ok, I don't work at NASA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I'll have you know smoots are still a relevant unit of measure. When I lived in Boston I regularly ran across the Harvard Bridge which has the smoot gradients labeled on the sidewalk. My watch was set to measure the pace of my runs in smoots per fortnight. 

My wife says she still loves me anyway. I'm lucky that way...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

Sorry. I grew up at a time when Imperial units were still used. I still process certain weights and measures in Imperial. Like room dimensions are easier to visualize in feet and inches. And it's easier to understand certain weights in pounds.

Really messed up, right? But it's ok, I don't work at NASA.

No not messed up. Big measurements i think are easier to process in imperial. When i have to start faffing around with fractions of an inch 13/16th then i switch to metric. 

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I use imperial for people's hight and weight.  We still use miles on the roads, other than that SI. Conversion has caused accidents in the past. 

Conversions can cause accidents Richard. When i tried to convert to being a veggie once, i got very angry and started throwing utensils around my kitchen. Fortunately nobody was injured but it took me a week to get the dog to come back into the house. These days i eat meat plenty of it, it makes me very happy 😊. What does this have to do with watches or units of measurement?  Absolutely nothing but I'm a sharing kind of guy.

1 hour ago, rehajm said:

I'll have you know smoots are still a relevant unit of measure. When I lived in Boston I regularly ran across the Harvard Bridge which has the smoot gradients labeled on the sidewalk. My watch was set to measure the pace of my runs in smoots per fortnight. 

My wife says she still loves me anyway. I'm lucky that way...

Seeing as this conversation has diversed just a tad, rather than start another thread as this one is pretty much screwed anyway. Just thought i would throw a random question out there as the  fairer gender has just being mentioned, thank you rehajm. Where are all the lady watch peeps ? I have only ever seen one pose a question in a year. My missus has a go when she has time but other than that nada. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

The tool cuts a circle into the dial. The circle is the size of a dial foot. Then you glue the foot using glue of your choice. The secret is the surface area of the foot. The cut is deep enough so that the foot is in the plane of the dial...in principle.

the tip that connects to the dial now are machined down to a smaller diameter.  When I look closely at the area where they once attached, I can see a minor hole.  SO perhaps the idea was much the same.  the feet should be inserted into the dial and not just surfaced mounted.  This is certainly a learning project for me. Thanks to all for your comments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Where are all the lady watch peeps ? I have only ever seen one pose a question in a year. My missus has a go when she has time but other than that nada. 

There’s at least one daughter at the famous watch store I frequent in Orlando, Florida here in the states. Kalle has had a few women in his shop. Vulcain has a few in their factory promotional video…but yes, few and fer between…

• Like 1

Superglue is not really very good in tension, designed more for shear applications.  Best product I have used in similar situations is Devcon Steel. This is an epoxy with steel granules.  It is easy to apply with a needle or pegwood and has a tendency to flow into a nice fillet.  Can be filed afterwards if required.  I normally leave it a few days in a warm place to fully harden. I think Devcon did other metals as well.  Not sure if they are still trading though.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rehajm said:

There’s at least one daughter at the famous watch store I frequent in Orlando, Florida here in the states. Kalle has had a few women in his shop. Vulcain has a few in their factory promotional video…but yes, few and fer between…

It would be interesting to get their perspective on things. My missus often comes up with wierd and wonderful ideas. 

20 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

It would be interesting to get their perspective on things. My missus often comes up with wierd and wonderful ideas. 

For sure NEW, the more different takes on things we get the more innovative we can be.

Tom

• Like 1