Watch sticks if not wound for a while

I’ve oiled a watch and checked its heart beat is nearly perfect but if I forget to wind it for a day or two it gets stuck. If I give the balance a tap it starts and runs fine again. Any ideas as to what’s going on? I heard of something called “stiction”, but not sure if that’s it or if it needs a good cleaning.

I did a light cleaning but I could have missed something. Considering that it didn’t run at all when I started and I had to replace the mainspring I thought I did a good job but I’m very new to this. Also I’m pretty sure I slightly over oiled the jewels because it’s a very small movement and my oilers are not that fine. I don’t know if it’s worth my time taking it apart again just to clean and oil it again when the local repair place said they’d do it for free. I just thought if it was something with a particular part…

I’m not sure I’m just now looking up the different types of escapements in watches. I am a noob at this just wetting my toes ya know.

the watch is this:

31B98043-81B9-4501-936D-29CEE7A0A972.jpeg

4F788ED9-6DA0-4E06-A5EE-5BFBB1063CF5.png

These pictures were from before I did my repairs and I also replaced the screws and cleaned the face.

Says seven jewels so is normally pin pallet.

Did you lube the escape teeth? 

Make sure you have enough end shake on balance staff? and all arbours. 

A test to check for lack of shake in gear train is to loosen all bridge screws about two turns and see if it runs logner. 

Is it a mobile stud carrier or fixed stud holder? 

Did you test the fork?   to see how strong it snaps back&forth? 

For a good scervice, capstones should be routinely removed, cleaned and examined under good magnification.

Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask your questions please.

Rgds

The movement has a normal lever escapement. It sound as if its a bit of dirt floating around in the movement or wear. So check over the movement paying attention to the places I have marked.   Make sure all the pivots are smooth. 

31B98043-81B9-4501-936D-29CEE7A0A972.thumb.jpeg.792142d4805700a7bc9a75806bd76d78.jpg

Edited by oldhippy

thank you both. It really only gets stuck after not being wound for a day or more after all its potential has been spent. So basically it runs fine for around two days and if I wind it before it runs out I’m fine, but if I don’t for a day or so it won’t start without a little tap.

I know I still have a lot to learn. I guess I’ll do a more thorough cleaning to start and then re apply lube and oil. Then I’ll test the gear train, balance staff pivots, fork  and such. I did remove everything when cleaning originally but I only did a two stage cleaning with my ultrasonic machine and didn’t do much of a touch up after so it could be that something is rattling around in there. That said the damage to the mainspring was corrosion from moisture, so maybe I need to replace something else that I didn’t catch when I disassembled it. As for letting up on the screws maybe I tightened them a bit to much, so I’ll have to check that but it runs for a good couple days.

Also what’s the best lube and oils for this watch? I picked up some recommended by a watch repair guide and followed instructions but it seems every watch is a bit different in what they like. Different guides seemed to suggest that Swiss movements use different compounds than let’s say German ones…

Your watch might not pass the timegrapher test, but two days of running isn't bad. 

That it doesn't start without a little tap Marc has already covered most probable cause that is:  " oscilator might be out of beat". 

Somewhat confusing as it says seven jewels on gear train bridge but jewel count shows more. 

Following the clean you have a chance to check all parts ( specially pinions) for wear/ damage  with good magnification.  

Stick pivots in pegwood before you give parts another bath. 

Rgds

• Like 1