Hello All, I was having a problem with the 4th wheel, and finally found a broken jewel under the microscope  ( 62 year old eyes require extra help) . I  emailed Mark about it, his response was  that it’s not that common. I’m relatively new to all of this, at this stage is it worth my investing in a jewelers tool, or should I learn the basics before taking on such a task? It’s the cheap clone that Mark uses in his course.

IMG_0598.jpeg

Well, I can't see a crack, but I will trust your 62 year old eyes against my 56 year old ones. It depends on your financial situation and your plans for the future. Changing a press-fit jewel is relatively straightforward with the correct tools, provided you can measure and then find a replacement of the correct size. It's not an advanced skill, but the gear is expensive and rarely used if you are just beginning to service modern(ish) wristwatches.

I suggest you just buy a replacement movement at this stage. You can always come back to it later. Make notes about the problem (you will forget otherwise!) and put it to one side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Boxerartist said:

Hello All, I was having a problem with the 4th wheel, and finally found a broken jewel under the microscope  ( 62 year old eyes require extra help) . I  emailed Mark about it, his response was  that it’s not that common. I’m relatively new to all of this, at this stage is it worth my investing in a jewelers tool, or should I learn the basics before taking on such a task? It’s the cheap clone that Mark uses in his course.

IMG_0598.jpeg

I also with my 56 year old eyes cant see a crack but it does look quite worn around the edges. As Klassiker has said not a particularly difficult task once you have the correct tools but the investment at this stage maybe too soon. As suggested a donor or replacement movement to supply another mainplate might be a better option.

Screenshot_20230330-073224_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jewels in the mainplate can be pushed out with a wooden stick. To remove the jewel press from  outer side of ebauche/ movement .

Aim at a point on ( outer circumference of the jewel and inner circumference of the hole in the mainplate "  a joint point") to simulatanously press to move that side of the jewel by say .05mm  , next you do the same on 180 degress round the hole/ jewel, repeat  , you be moving the jewel by small increments of mm to avoid breaking it, at some point the jewel has moved enough to fall out.

Measure the outer circumference of the jewel and diameter of the pivot that goes in it. 

Fitting the new jewel is to be done from the inner side of ebauche, jewels dome side enters the hole first, a bit of oiling facilitates jewel insertion then  press the jewel home. I do adjusting by  same approach.

Even if you break this damaged jewel, you will master this task in no time. 

Rgds

Edited by Nucejoe

13 hours ago, Klassiker said:

Well, I can't see a crack, but I will trust your 62 year old eyes against my 56 year old ones. It depends on your financial situation and your plans for the future. Changing a press-fit jewel is relatively straightforward with the correct tools, provided you can measure and then find a replacement of the correct size. It's not an advanced skill, but the gear is expensive and rarely used if you are just beginning to service modern(ish) wristwatches.

I suggest you just buy a replacement movement at this stage. You can always come back to it later. Make notes about the problem (you will forget otherwise!) and put it to one side.

This is a better picture of it, thanks for the advice.

IMG_0599.jpeg