Is It Worth To Buy?

I have the oportunity to buy this Cauny with an ETA 853 movement. I know this brand is not much valued, but I have a little "passion" by the brand because the first watches I had when I was a boy where Caunys. I think this particular model is very beautiful with its guilloché dial. It has a large case with 40 mm diameter. The seller is asking 190€. What do you think about it?

post-1304-0-91439200-1437902755.jpg

post-1304-0-62297900-1437902764_thumb.jp

Thanks for you advice!

That's a nice looking watch GuiBer. I can't comment on the price, it depends if if is worth that to you.

I would ask about its time keeping and when it was last serviced, as the regulator is hard across to the "Slow" position.

The watch looks to need a service, judging by the regulator position - as Geo rightly says - and here's one on eBay for comparison - note the price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAUNY-PRIMA-Calendario-big-diam-Genuine-vintage-Swiss-watch-/181812574067?hash=item2a54dfb773

The one you're interested in appears to be in nice condition. If it was me, I'd offer a lot less - but the decision is yours!

Cheers,

Will

That's a nice looking watch GuiBer. I can't comment on the price, it depends if if is worth that to you.

I would ask about its time keeping and when it was last serviced, as the regulator is hard across to the "Slow" position.

Thanks Geo for your opinion and aadvice. I'' ask th seller about the watch time keeping. 

The watch looks to need a service, judging by the regulator position - as Geo rightly says - and here's one on eBay for comparison - note the price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAUNY-PRIMA-Calendario-big-diam-Genuine-vintage-Swiss-watch-/181812574067?hash=item2a54dfb773

The one you're interested in appears to be in nice condition. If it was me, I'd offer a lot less - but the decision is yours!

Cheers,

Will

Thanks for your opinion Willfly. I looked at the Cauny you found on ebay. I think there are two main differences between the two Watches: the movement ( ETA 853 vs UNITAS 376) and case diameter (40 vs 36 mm). Can these two features justify a higher value?

I quite like Unitas movements - though I believe they eventually became part of the ETA "brand" - so it's a hard judgement to make. I think the one on eBay is better finished than the ETA, but the guilloche dial on the one you're interested in is also very nice. Hard call!

The price range for Cauny watches is very wide - from about £40 to over £250 and more - so all seems to depend on rarity and condition.

In the end, if something grabs you and you've got the cash - indulge yourself!

Cheers,

Will

Personally....I can't stand a partial #6 on a dial. Other than that cosmetically it looks sweet to me!

It does look a bit strange. It gives the impression that they have designed a full dial then just machined out the recess for the sub seconds because it was an easy conversion. I'm sure this wasn't the case though.

It does look a bit strange. It gives the impression that they have designed a full dial then just machined out the recess for the sub seconds because it was an easy conversion. I'm sure this wasn't the case though.

I suppose it was almost a "feature" or a style signature for many Cauny watch models of the 60'ies. 

Some examples:

post-1304-0-54801600-1438013050_thumb.jp    post-1304-0-32955900-1438013067_thumb.jp

post-1304-0-66239900-1438013202.jpg

And my thanks to all your opinions about this eventual buy.

Seems expensive to me. 10 microns is a thin gold plate for this era and it looks like it has rubbed quite a bit a the corners, the crown looks new and is a different colour to the case. Also, if I'd done that much damage to the screw slots I'd be embarrassed... But it's not that uncommon to see.

S