What Can Be Done?

I purchased a watch from a thrift store. In fact several watches.   The watches are not running therefore put  new batteries in each. Scuff marks and scratches were evident but the crystals are fine. One watch I buffed and polish I thought it was all stainless but the bezel was part of the case it turned out to be I do not know..... This is what it looks like now .. Can this be fixed?

post-989-0-01905300-1437150855_thumb.jpg

agreed Frenchie it looks like brass. some cases allow the bezel to be removed and you could get it re-chromed. An alternative may be to get it gold plated (for something different) but this part wears hard. You will need a press to get it back together again

If it is left as is, it is likely it will tarnish over time.

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Well Gentlemen and Ladies I think we should thank @Mark for his posts putting our minds to rest and the explanation of running the site which is done very well. As a resource for watch repairs for new and old I would rate it second to none, the casual banter and dissemination of information  top notch, let us ll enjoy working on here and helping others. Any one can PM me as Iam sure others as well if it has to off the “record” and Marks blessing on that.   We appreciate that Mark is a busy man and totally appreciate what he does for us all.    So from me THANK YOU MARK. from an old timer.
    • Hi it depends on the watch. The ones with the day date complications  dial dots are not really any good as you have difficulty getting the clearance between day date wheels a the dial.  Dial feet can be fitted no problem, there are several options, the cheapest is to mill out where the foot is and glue a new foot on. ( available fron Cousins UK ) mterialhouse . Or solder on a new foot, only problem with that is you need great care not to mark the dial. I use a DIY. Dial foot machine works no problem.
    • If everything is inside them, then once restored and keeping time the oris could be worth 20 -30 each, I've paid a lot more Oris date pointers in the past. Bought this last week for a quid at a carboot sale. A cute little Smiths made in England alarm clock. The alarm didn’t function properly because the movement wasn't fastened in. But it runs perfectly now, the previous made a bit of a mess of the dial but i still love it. For the Smiths lovers here's  a picture of the inside before i case it up again. Still with it the original Jewellers box.
    • The canon  pinion height must match the one you are removing, the physical size of the movement if it’s the same as the one removed should fit ok. The bogey hole is the height  to maintain clearance from the crystal
    • I’ve come across this sort of problem. The Bergeon universal winders aren’t always universal.    Options are: Track down a movement specific winder Hand wind it Buy a new mainspring - probably the best option in my view.    I’ve been thinking how to invent a winder that uses the actual barrel arbor. Haven’t done it yet…