Fossil Watch

I am looking for a watch crystal for a fossil watch model FS 4844. Would like to purchase. I also have a problem with scratches on the watch case and bracelet( both are stainless steel) what is the best solution or steps for removing the scratches. I do have dremel tool. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you have no watchmaking knowledge.
In this case it's best left to someone who knows what they're doing.

You're going to need a lot of stuff to complete the work you're thinking of doing  (aside from the knowledge) 

I can fill you in if you like, but I don't see this ending well unless I'm completely off basis about what you know/what experience you have. 

Also, welcome to the forum.

Edited by Ishima

Honeybee welcome to the forum see vid attached on how to remove scratches from your watchband.

To replace the crystal the movement will have to be removed from the case. Then you will have to determine how the glass is attached.

If it is a pressure fit you will need a crystal removing tool or glass press then measure and purchase the new one from a supply house.

https://youtu.be/DpB419oxCjQ

• Like 1

Thanks, for answering this question . I am new to this forum and to the art of Horology..  It is hard for me to explain how sincere I want to be about this profession. For I am taking a class in watch repair (horology) this is why I asked how to replace a crystal and what can I use to remove scratches from a stainless steel watch case, for I had a couple old watches to practice on.  Yes, I might obtain a few skills, the more I practice and learn how to do minor things first........

thanks again

Honeybee50

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you have no watchmaking knowledge.

In this case it's best left to someone who knows what they're doing.

You're going to need a lot of stuff to complete the work you're thinking of doing  (aside from the knowledge) 

I can fill you in if you like, but I don't see this ending well unless I'm completely off basis about what you know/what experience you have. 

Also, welcome to the forum.

I am a newbie to this profession.. For I am taking a class : I do believe that a few instruction on how to remove scratches from a stainless steel watch and  replacing a watch crystal and where to purchase  will be beneficial to my education in horology.

Thanks

Honeybee50

Honeybee welcome to the forum see vid attached on how to remove scratches from your watchband.

To replace the crystal the movement will have to be removed from the case. Then you will have to determine how the glass is attached.

If it is a pressure fit you will need a crystal removing tool or glass press then measure and purchase the new one from a supply house.

https://youtu.be/DpB419oxCjQ

Thanks,  For I am new to this profession and to this forum.

Honeybee50

Oh okay, I tend to assume the worst, figured you were just some random person trying to save a buck on watch repair, which gets under my skin. 

Hopefully we can be of some help to you,

polishing, or refinishing steel is tricky, I advise you watch

Now most of that can be applied with a dremel or other motor, you don't necessarily need a bench motor.
For compounds and wheels I advice you get a couple of mini felt wheels, chamois, and cotton for your motor, for 'buffing' use the felt in conjunction with grey dialux, and for polishing use chamois or cotton in conjunction with green dialux.

So there's a bit of a shopping list there but it shouldn't mount up to more than £20, there's tonnes of other ways you can go about it, and other things you can get, but that's my starting recommendation.

Check out the suppliers section of the forum to find where you can get what you need. 
http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/links/category/1-watch-clock-repair-suppliers/
  • Like 1

Thanks to you guys, I  found out a lot about watch repair and finding parts. Removed the watch crystal, polished and buffed the watch casing and bracelet,( I am still working  on the case.  broke down the watch into all components.  The only thing I lost was  a very small c-clip, I know this is going to be very hard to find. Found a watch crystal I do not know if its a high dome or low therefore I ordered both. I am excited!!! will post the final watch ....although its a cheap watch but this is  my first  overhaul ..  I am inspired by how you guys are able to break down and rebuilt  mechanical watches...  

High/low dome? that's acrylic, is it not a flat mineral glass? (sorry if we missed explaining the different types of crystals)

you should be able to get generic packs of c-clips, I know at work I have a little box of about 6 different sizes separated into different little container tubes. 
C clips can get you though, when working with them i like to squeeze a big chunk of rodico right cozily under neath to catch it.