Bought this clock at a flea market. Can not find anything about it.

edteach

I tried searching for Vidrio clocks, Vidrio glass, jadeite, and uranium glass clocks. This clock forecloses in ultraviolet light. If anyone knows I have a few questions on this clock. First is who made it? I get nothing on the search for Vidrio clocks but for some slag glass Cadillac clocks. When I bought it it had no cord. I took it apart and put some alligator clips on the wires left inside the clock and I can hear the hum of the coil but no movement. The starter spins free but will not run. any help in how to fix it and information about the clock if anyone knows would be much appreciated. Thanks.

DSC08028.JPG

DSC08029.JPG

DSC08030.JPG

DSC08031.JPG

DSC08032.JPG

These early synchronous motor clocks were not able to start automatically. The start knob had to be given a quick turn to get the motor running, much like vintage cars with a hand crank.

Your starter knob seems to be broken. I think it would be safer to use a proper connector on the wires before trying to start up the clock. And check for leakage before touching the metal parts 

• Like 2

Its repaired. The coil had some broken magnet wire. drilled  out the rivets and unwound it to remove the broken wire and soldered it back together, This is a picture of when I just started to drill out the coil rivets. DSC08040.JPG.f7d84972c07c3351d87d3cd0713ae22e.JPG

Video of the clock working now. https://studio.youtube.com/video/8mSmDAY5CS8/edit

Edited by edteach
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Case in point, I just scored a lot of 4 Timex mechanical watches for $15.50 which puts the individual watches at $3.88 each, or £3.09 (or €3.59, ¥28.08 (CH), ¥607 (JP), ₹324 ... or 0.00006 Bitcoin ) 😉 
    • The 73 was my setting lever make Mike, same piece fitted to your 72. I enjoyed working on the movement, fair quality. 73 wasn't front loading,but a tight spacer ring that i had to fit onto the movement before casing up. I had to adjust endshake on the third wheel  so apart from the make everthing else was good. 
    • Well it's arrived, and it's a pleasant surprise. A 11.5''' 21 jewel FHF 72. It's running (just) and looks in great condition.  It needs a good service, and new crown and strap.  It's a front loader but doesn't have a split stem. There's a small lever (visible when you remover the bezel), which when moved, frees the stem and the movement from the case (a new one on me).  
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • Hi All, I'm Geoff and I've been working on/with watches and clocks since I was thirteen. My dad was a watchmaker and while he did not want me in the field as a profession, I've always maintained a pretty good working knowledge. In the '70's I kinda got pulled back into things because Quartz revolution began and he only had limited electronic knowledge. So we combined skills. He the watchmaker and me the electronics tech. Being here in NY helped because we got to know the folks from Bulova, Seiko, Citizen, and WOSIC. H.B. Freid was my Dad's teacher and I was fortunate enough to get to know him too. I still maintain a bench here at home and occasionally work on watches for friends although the hands aren't what they used to be. Not going to be working on any FHF59 or AS1012's any time soon. Oddly enough though my years working with the field taught me how to work on almost anything else mechanical and mostly electronic. Since I was the one in the family who maintained Dad's cleaning and timing machines. those experiences carried over quite nicely into the worlds of recording and audio as well as others. I look forward to the discussions and maybe still learning a trick or two. Cheers to all and nice to be here.