Not sure if it's even possible

Gustav

Welcome to the forum.  We'll give whatever help we can.  I think one bit of advice you're likely to hear is: you may wish to obtain non-running movements to practice upon first, before taking up a precious heirloom and getting in over your head too soon.  Such movements can be had on Ebay, and similar sites.  And watchmakers supply places have beginner tool sets for modest prices that can also help get you started.  There is a lot to learn about watch repair and the learning never ends.  And for many of us, the fascination never ends either.  Good luck to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gustav said:

I'm trying to repair my grandfather's watch.. not sure I'll be able to do i

pictures are always nice because grandfathers depending on who they were all had different watches. then there's the other question does this watch have sentimental value to you in other words if somehow it was destroyed would you be unhappy? That answer will determine how we should proceed with repairing your watch.

It sounds as if you are going to need the basics!

There are some very good YouTube videos that will give you an idea of how to approach the problem and what tools you might need. This guy has 18 lessons you can watch. The host of this forum has several online courses you can take that will very much improve the odds that you'll be successful.

I guess the question I have is: Do you think there is any possibility that after working on your grandfather's watch you will ever be inclined to work on another?

If yes, you probably ought to practice on something else first. If no, you might want to consider just taking it to somebody who already knows what they're doing.

Welcome to the forum.