Bookmark July 14Th 2015 - New Horizons Arrives At Pluto

• 2 weeks later...

I love this stuff! Only I can't believe they "demoted" its status from planet to what, planetoid? I wonder who might have thought of that...does seniority is worth anything these days? :)

In any case, I'll be following it and enjoying!

Cheers,

Bob

I love this stuff! Only I can't believe they "demoted" its status from planet to what, planetoid? I wonder who might have thought of that...does seniority is worth anything these days? :)

In any case, I'll be following it and enjoying!

Cheers,

Bob

Dwarf Planet.

Hi ro63rto,

Is that the new classification? Why on earth....err....pluto, they come up with such names after it's been "ole plain given-for-granted Pluto" for so many centuries (?). Oh, well, never mind, I suppose they have dwarf stars and now they need to dwarf some planets too, but then I'm not to good at astronomy. It has gotten complicated in the past 10 - 20 years I guess. The way it's going, our solar system may end up as the center of the universe...the original "central theory" -- Earth central to everything -- with a twist! In any case, it would not be so far from the truth considering anything could be the center in an infinite or near-infinite space...now they're working on a near infinite number of almost infinite universes with different properties and linked somehow.

I'd be thrilled though if they find life or other indication of "people" out there. That would probably spice things up a bit. But I guess, as a trekkie, I can only wish.

Cheers,

Bob

According to info on NASA website its a Dwarf Planet as from 2006.

The also go on to say it's also know as a plutoid which means a dwarf planet further out than Neptune.

What I can't get my head round is the distances.

Pluto is 7.5 BILLION kilometers away from Earth. It's in our Solar System.

Our Solar System is a spec in the Milky Way which in itself is a spec in the universe [emoji50]

• Like 1

Pluto is 7.5 BILLION kilometers away from Earth. It's in our Solar System.

Our Solar System is a spec in the Milky Way which in itself is a spec in the universe emoji50.png          

Absolutely. Now imagine all the galaxies that make our universe and then a near infinite number of universes! This is a quick search of what I could find but originally the idea came off the new particle accelerator somewhere in maybe Switzerland or whereabouts. 

http://phys.org/news/2010-12-scientists-evidence-universes.html

• 2 weeks later...