Hello all, I have bought the new Omega buckle for my watch and on the back of the buckle STAINLESS STEEL is engraved in-spite the buckle is yellow gold. They claim that their product 100% genuine, but I have a suspicion it is FAKE. I was expecting to see SWISS or SWISS MADE but not Stainless steel on the golden buckle? Am I wrong? Does OMEGA making such an awful design these days? Many thanks, Vitaly

P S This is the site I bought it from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191090235807?_trksid=p2060353.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT T

if that is fake then they went to a hell of a lot of trouble. The blister pack is identical to the original. I don't think it's really a mass market product so faking to this level would not pay off. And the seller has over 32000 positives in the last 12 months.. My hunch - it's probably genuine but buying anything on the Internet is always a risk but there is nothing about this listing that alarms me.

yes of course, but in the past only Swiss or Swiss Made was written and not that silly Stainless. As soon as it become covered with gold or something it is not the stainless steel, don't you think? and also Titanium and Stainless are very different metals. The sailer actually told me they have the same buckle with the Swiss and Swiss made, I was not lucky. For me it is better to have without any wards instead. I will send it back. Cheers.

Just be aware that after December it will be much more difficult to get genuine Omega parts. I also suspect that NOS parts will become excruciatingly expensive when the Swatch Group drops the hammer.

It;s your choice but if Omega has changed the wording on the buckles then the seller has no control over that.

I suspect it may be that Omega changed the origin of manufacture for the buckles - just a guess.

Some people suspect that a lot of parts for swiss watches are now manufactured outside of Switzerland and assembled in Switzerland.

Thanks Mark, I have a vintage Omega from 1960 18k yellow gold and I wish to make everything nice, so it looks like I have to hunter for the vintage Omega buckle now. Thanks again for your information. Kind regards, Vitaly.

PS I wish to take it apart to clean and oil all parts(Cal.620). When I watch your Youtube footage I wish to do it in spite I am complete novice.

Seeing the packaging and having dealt with the seller on a few occassions i would have that down as genuine , I do realise that a large majority of the ones on Ebay aren't the real deal but having dealt with the seller and looking at the packaging i would be happy that that was gen.

Vitaly, if you're going through that much trouble to make sure the watch is as it should be, and you would describe yourself as a complete novice, then that leads me to think this might not be a watch you want to attempt a service on, that being said you're free to do as you like and you will always find help here. 

In regards to the buckle, it's entirely likely that stainless steel buckles were mass produced and stamped and then they would take a portion of those stainless buckles and have them plated.

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

Thanks Andyclient, but I received the buckle from them not in the original Omega package as you can see on their avert photo. It was pact in the airtight film, but with the stickers just in B/W which anyone can print on the laser printer.

Yes Ishima, you are absolutely right that this is not the watch to experiment with. That is why I would like to try this on much cheeper version first. By the way I already removed some dip scratches from the body  and the crystal and polished them. I also fix a new original Omega crown and watch looks nice kipping a good time. Maybe no need to do the service at the moment, but in case I will, I know where to find some help. Nice site and a very friendly community. Thanks to all for advise.

Vitaly - I have been buying various items from that seller for a long time and can vouch for their honesty. If they sell something as genuine then they do so with total honesty and if found to be different they will be happy to discuss and help. I know ebay can be flooded with fakes but from my own experience with this seller they have always been extremely helpful & honest. Just thought id share. :)

Thanks Andyclient, but I received the buckle from them not in the original Omega package as you can see on their avert photo. It was pact in the airtight film, but with the stickers just in B/W which anyone can print on the laser printer.

Ref the packaging , i got a couple of Omega bracelet links yesterday from Cousins and they were packed in airtight film with the part no sticker on just like you say your buckle had , so i guess this is how Omega are now doing things

Vitaly - I have been buying various items from that seller for a long time and can vouch for their honesty. If they sell something as genuine then they do so with total honesty and if found to be different they will be happy to discuss and help. I know ebay can be flooded with fakes but from my own experience with this seller they have always been extremely helpful & honest. Just thought id share. :)

Absolutely agree , said much the same myself 

HERE IS REPLY FROM      O M E G A 

Thank you for your email.

I must advise we are unable to comment if the buckle is genuine via a picture, we can only guarantee upon examination.

I am sorry I could not respond more favourably.

Many thanks and kind regards

Jody Grennell

Customer Support

The Swatch Group (UK) Limited

Charter Court

Third Avenue

Millbrook

Southampton

Hampshire, United Kingdom SO15 0JA

telephone: 0845 899 0086