Hello from GA (USA)

I have dabbled with mechanical watches for years, but have finally decided to try and progress a little further along. I would like to service my late grandfather's pocketwatch (he was  a railroad worker). It has been sitting in a display case for the past 50 years...

I look forward to learning a lot of stuff (I've already started).

Welcome to the forum!

They say a pocket watch is where to start because they're bigger however the trend in wrist watches has been getting bigger often using a movement designed for a pocket watch.

If your grandfather's watch was running when it was put in the display case you'll likely have an easier time than if there was a problem that needs diagnosis. In any case, the folks here are ready to help.

2 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Welcome to the forum!

They say a pocket watch is where to start because they're bigger however the trend in wrist watches has been getting bigger often using a movement designed for a pocket watch.

If your grandfather's watch was running when it was put in the display case you'll likely have an easier time than if there was a problem that needs diagnosis. In any case, the folks here are ready to help.

His watch was running when put into the display. I am imagining that it will only need a good cleaning and then reapplying oil (a service). Having said that, I've already purchased a nonworking pocket watch to practice on. It actually needs a lot, so I should hopefully learn a good bit.

5 minutes ago, firelight said:

I've already purchased a nonworking pocket watch

That's how I started. One thing I did learn is that while Elgin made tons of pocket watches over the years, just because they have the same grade identification, doesn't mean that you can interchange parts. That got me in trouble.

What make watch did your grandfather have? What make watch have you purchased?

You'll want to be careful with how you ultimately end up cleaning your grandfather's watch. Watching the many YT videos gives you the impression that everyone on the planet has a fancy watch cleaning machine and uses the brand's suggested cleaning and rinse solutions. There a lot of discussion in various threads about cleaning.

Anyway, hopefully you'll have an enjoyable journey!

- Gary

4 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

That's how I started. One thing I did learn is that while Elgin made tons of pocket watches over the years, just because they have the same grade identification, doesn't mean that you can interchange parts. That got me in trouble.

What make watch did your grandfather have? What make watch have you purchased?

You'll want to be careful with how you ultimately end up cleaning your grandfather's watch. Watching the many YT videos gives you the impression that everyone on the planet has a fancy watch cleaning machine and uses the brand's suggested cleaning and rinse solutions. There a lot of discussion in various threads about cleaning.

Anyway, hopefully you'll have an enjoyable journey!

- Gary

Thanks for the info on the Elgin parts not necessarily being interchangeable. I bought this particular watch to practice on because it was the only one I could source locally (that didn't already run, so cheaper). 

My grandfather's watch is an Illinois Bunn Special that was made in 1926. I will definitely start looking into the various cleaning methods available to me (I don't have a machine at this point). I will practice on the one I purchased, and ultimately purchase an Illinois pocket watch that I can practice on as well. I plan on doing multiple watches before trying to tackle my grandfather's.

I'm looking forward to the journey!

• Like 1

Have you visited:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/

I know Elgin, Waltham and Illinois made a lot of watches back in the day. Once you determine the exact movement you might be able to find the same movement on eBay that isn't running for a good price ($20 or $30 bucks if not in the fancy gold case that often made these special).

• Like 1