Tommy women's watch battery

Hi folks...old man  here, with a son who thinks he can fix anything!  I got into his battery change of his Mom's Tommy Hilfiger watch ( Model: 1781715) too late I guess....hope you can help...I have tried to assist, but even with all the you tube help...no luck on removing the back of the watch to replace the battery. He has virtually scratched the back imprint off with his efforts.....tried small screw driver to lift off, knife blade to pry off and anything else that makes sense for a pop-off back.

Any assistance would be appreciated!   "~ Michael

10 minutes ago, imoonin said:

for a pop-off back

Are you sure it's a pop-off back? It could be a screw-in. Screw in backs don't all advertise themselves with a half dozen indentations around the circumference (and I don't know what Tommy Hilfiger watches likely have).

I suspect you have a department store nearby where they change batteries?

You will also likely get better help by asking your question here. This INTRODUCE YOURSELF area is intended to actually introduce yourself - the assumption being that you're interested in watch repair and are planning to stick around.

It is possible that the back will simply unscrew using one of these. Some years ago I tried to replace a battery in a pop open back and broke the crystal when trying to pop it back on. I ended up replacing the watch - it was cheaper (and less embarrassing).

Good luck!

• Like 1

But then again cheap fashion watches are often snap backed for cheapness

If you look around the edge of the back with a loupe you should find where to insert the edge of a case knife. Unfortunately some don't even have that option as it's cheaper to not have the cutout for the knife and will need a more elaborate back opener, like one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225002213763?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3BWNpbSeRqW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cJqjENlHSBe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COI have not yet seen a screw back wrist watch that was not obvious in some way that it was a screw back, pocket watches yes but not a wrist watch, especially a modern watch.

could you post some pictures showing the back

• Like 1

Yep thjat looks like the correct case opening position, provided its the same or similar watch most but not all snap back watches I have seen seem to have something similar.

Edited by Paul80
  • Like 1

If getting the caseback off is that difficult, getting it back on will be equally challenging. 

Usually for small, ladies watches, you'd need special tools for opening and closing the caseback. If you're only going to do this once in a couple of years, it'd be better to bring it to a jeweller or watchmaker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Should be this watch. The red arrow shows the point where the case back can be pried off most likely.

24C12FFA-D033-4A88-B677-ABFC256C55A5.thumb.jpeg.71bd39b52a3c0dba98dccec833cf520f.jpeg

D356FFB3-E42F-443C-AFB9-8CBB5831293C.thumb.jpeg.6cb92b0740c7f3ceb07e685643404daa.jpeg

Good answer....still no go! Going to "cave-in"  and have some else do it.....this watch has been good, but a pain now......thanks for your help...MM

On 5/31/2022 at 2:53 AM, imoonin said:

.tried small screw driver to lift off, knife blade to pry off and anything else that makes sense for a pop-off back

No you haven't tried anything, as there are special tools that become especially useful in the hands on of unexperienced people (take no offense as this category also includes most high street jewellers improvising battery changes). You can see them searching this website,  that being said what they do can be done with a sharp blade, a good holder, skills and dexterity,

• Like 1

Hi Attached below are just two of the special tools for removing case backs, once having done that they need to be re fitted  again I have attached two examples.  More often than not the back can be removed  and re fitted esily enough but when problems occur you need the correct equipment.

CB!.jpg

cb2.jpg

closers 1.jpg

case back 2.jpg

• Like 3