Hello All - Another fresh spawn here

Hello to all from the sunny UK, hope everyone is doing great 👌🏼

fairly new to world of watches been learning for the past few months independently; mainly via disassembly/reassembly (trying to lose less and less parts each time!) and slowly but surly building up the kit. Finding it very interesting, looking forward to increasing my knowledge. Eager to hear peoples advice and past experiences, will take it all on board and hopefully one day I can return the favour to a future fresh spawn.

Stay Safe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Wigmei727 said:

Hello to all from the sunny UK, hope everyone is doing great 👌🏼

fairly new to world of watches been learning for the past few months independently; mainly via disassembly/reassembly (trying to lose less and less parts each time!) and slowly but surly building up the kit. Finding it very interesting, looking forward to increasing my knowledge. Eager to hear peoples advice and past experiences, will take it all on board and hopefully one day I can return the favour to a future fresh spawn.

Stay Safe

Welcome wigme. Sounds strange but that's a word I should be using everytime I look in the mirror and reminisce about combing my hair 🙃. Sunny UK you say, you definitely not East Yorkshire then. What you working on at hhe moment matey ?

Thankyou all for your kind welcomes, it’s nice to know there is a very active community here.

@grsnovishow me that wild blue yonder I’m sure there is a health stock of spares waiting to be found!!

@Neverenoughwatchesthe sunny midlands I should say; I know the sun rarely makes an appearance in you part of the country so must be a blessing when it does! Currently been working on a nice skeleton watch that a family member has handed me to look at. The automatic mechanism had came apart leaving wheels in every nook and cranny - the difficult part is working out the correct order, sure it’s not a very common movement - ain’t entropy a thing 

how is the dynamic here are many of you hobbyists or more profession based?

3 minutes ago, Wigmei727 said:

Thankyou all for your kind welcomes, it’s nice to know there is a very active community here.

@grsnovishow me that wild blue yonder I’m sure there is a health stock of spares waiting to be found!!

@Neverenoughwatchesthe sunny midlands I should say; I know the sun rarely makes an appearance in you part of the country so must be a blessing when it does! Currently been working on a nice skeleton watch that a family member has handed me to look at. The automatic mechanism had came apart leaving wheels in every nook and cranny - the difficult part is working out the correct order, sure it’s not a very common movement - ain’t entropy a thing 

how is the dynamic here are many of you hobbyists or more profession based?

Hiya mate. There is an array of everything here. A shed load of hobbyists, loads of very good amateurs and from my encounters some  very skilled and knowledgeable pros and retirees. Let's have a look at what you are up to fella. Pictures are the name of the game here. Post a picture and folk will jump in and comment. Front back inside and out .

3 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Hi @Wigmei727! I know what you mean - I'm still fumbling with my tweezers and every now and then some small screw will shoot off into the wild blue yonder.

Welcome to the forum - lots of knowledge here.

- Gary

Hi G . Have you watched Kalle from chronoglide showing how to dress tweezers. I was pinging screws and springs in all directions when I started. Take a look at the end of your tweezers when you overgrip, then tell me what you see happening it can be quite subtle depending on how good your tweezers are. It will suddenly click in your head, unless you've figured it out already. A couple of little tips I picked up and now I very rarely have anything ping away unless it's a spring diveboarding off the mainplate or a jewel setting. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hiya mate. There is an array of everything here. A shed load of hobbyists, loads of very good amateurs and from my encounters some  very skilled and knowledgeable pros and retirees. Let's have a look at what you are up to fella. Pictures are the name of the game here. Post a picture and folk will jump in and comment. Front back inside and out .

Aye I see, good variety then! finished article of the skeleton watch managed to get it all resembled not so many issues, however evil skeleton watch if you drop something it can get royally lost inside the movement means taking a lot more apart than need to 😆

48DC2731-DCB2-48E8-AEF5-66050372E207.jpeg

36CED911-8287-477D-B523-053173CD2878.jpeg

A

1 hour ago, Wigmei727 said:

Aye I see, good variety then! finished article of the skeleton watch managed to get it all resembled not so many issues, however evil skeleton watch if you drop something it can get royally lost inside the movement means taking a lot more apart than need to 😆

48DC2731-DCB2-48E8-AEF5-66050372E207.jpeg

36CED911-8287-477D-B523-053173CD2878.jpeg

A little unusual.  No name but lots of scrolley bits. A Chinese chintzy watch ? Google chintz, UK speaky speak. 😄

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Hi , welcome.

A friend of mine had a Rotary with one of those skeleton movements - I offered to fix it when it broke.  You did well to get it working as the quality of the movement I worked on was very poor. I gave up in the end and just replaced the movement (all of £22).

I always suggest people buy some cheap Swiss watches to practice on - and don't get movements with less than 15 jewels.

Yeah it is a fairly lower quality one; branded as Stuhrling, however has some weight to it and works surprisingly well, cost £300 brand new apparently. 

recently brought a couple of broken Seikos and Rotary to have a go at next 👍🏻

39 minutes ago, Wigmei727 said:

Yeah it is a fairly lower quality one; branded as Stuhrling, however has some weight to it and works surprisingly well, cost £300 brand new apparently. 

40 minutes ago, Wigmei727 said:

Thats better than i tnought . German then ?

• 2 weeks later...