Stuck! - Buren Grand Prix pocket watch

Since I'm stalled on my grade 313 Elgin, I decided to disassemble the Buren Grand Prix pocket watch I received a week or two ago. Under the going barrel there is the following number: 44 514 and on the dial side it is stamped 10½N. I've gotten everything apart EXCEPT I'm unable to remove part of the keyless works and I suspect it may be due to components being rusted together. This lever on the dial side won't come off and on the back side this post will turn approximately 90° but it won't unscrew. What am I doing wrong? Should I soak the plate in naphtha?

stuck - dial side notes.jpg

stuck note.jpg

23 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Should I soak the plate in naphtha?

A mild but effective rust remover, used since centuries, is tea. I recommend to try it before sugared drinks or chemicals made for marine engines and the like. Even if isn't a mandate, there is a certain satisfaction is getting results by using old methods and tools in restoration work. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

Well, I worried it enough that I did get the winding stem out. I can get that post to turn back and forth but so far no luck getting it to unscrew. The setting lever moves easily.

55 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Well, I worried it enough that I did get the winding stem out. I can get that post to turn back and forth but so far no luck getting it to unscrew. The setting lever moves easily.

Well, you don't need to remove it IMHO.  Using one or the other of the concoctions in this thread, just work the screw back and forth, back and forth until you get enough travel to be able to tighten and loosen the stem.  BTW, this is a common issue because the most likely path for water incursion is the stem.

28 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Well, you don't need to remove it IMHO

That's true. I haven't run everything through the wash and I suppose there's a point where working on an old practice movement has served its purpose and beating yourself over the head doesn't make sense. I'll just clean everything up really good, try to get rid of all of the rust and see if I can get it back going.

I'm new. Had exactly the same problem on a setting lever screw on an old pocket watch. Advised, and did as advised, WD40 on a cotton bud. Soaked overnight. Movement, movement, more movement. Lifted out. What a treat for a beginner. Knackered the barrel arbor, but that's another story.

Good thread

Regards

Ross

• Thanks 1

I once spent a while trying to remove a rusty set lever screw - WD40 overnight. It did come out the next day, but it was already broken - the rust was holding both bits in 😧 

image.png.1ae394c9e413c4a1eb425e5ad0edd9ae.png

Edited by mikepilk
  • Haha 1