3 Old Timers, No Pun Intended.

These came into my posession a little while ago. They are all running and I thought I might post some pics for your thoughts as I am not sure which way to go with a couple of them.

The first is a nice looking Cyma. It had a broken stem and  scratched up crystal. I have had a new crystal fitted and have a new stem ready to fit. I could put up with the dial but the hands could do with new lume, there is so little of it I am not sure if it would even be noticed.  Wondering what colour would be best if I did go ahead?

post-923-0-58752400-1432407443_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-90407800-1432407498_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-87866000-1432407531_thumb.jpg

Also have this Optima.

post-923-0-21583100-1432407613_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-56685300-1432407635_thumb.jpg

Shame about the scratch on the dial. Obviously the hands should be done but I don't think bright fresh green lume would blend in at all with the aged dial. Is it possible to "stain" or age new lume to make it look more in keeping? Someone has painted the second hand red, looks alright actually but would that have been it's original colour?

post-923-0-54395100-1432407657_thumb.jpg

And then there is this poor old fellow. I love the shape and design of the case. The "unusual" crown is a nice touch. It has certainly been through the mill. What are the chances of finding the parts to fix it up? New stem, crown, crystal and handset. There is a serial number on the caseback, I was wondering where I could refer to for an idea of it's age?

post-923-0-41749900-1432407908_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-04867700-1432407927_thumb.jpg

I am not at all sure what the finish on dial is, it almost feels cardboard-like. I don't like to touch it too much in case I make it worse.

post-923-0-54109600-1432407949_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I hope you like them and I would be grateful for your opinions and suggestions.

• Like 1

A good 20 min blast in the ultrasonic with detergent and a good polish with a silver cloth will clean the cases up. Replace crystals with new. As for the dials it depends what you are willing to risk & what you are willing to live with, I have had good results with silver dip, gently washing with detergent or baby oil (not all at the same time). All methods have a risk - just try a small area on the edge first. Apparently dried tea added to the lume will give it an aged look.

Hopefully one of the other members will be able to give you an idea of the movement makes & ages.

These old timers definitely appeal to me. When I saw the Vertex I thought 'Aha!' and had a rummage in my small stock of elderly watches. Alas, what I turned up was not a Vertex but a Fortex, entirely unrelated in the movement department, or any other department!. The upside is that in removing the case back and stem the watch started to run. I suspect that the stem is incorrect as it neither winds nor adjusts.

Keep posting these OTs though Davey and others as it's great to see examples of the huge variety of watches and it may prompt owners of a few more veterans to dig them out and make them go.

Now where's that Trotteur I had?

It's possible to buy lume packs which contain a small container of staining agent - you can choose the degree of brown-ness in the lume mix.

Doesn't have to be bright green. It costs a bit more than the standard lume pack, but worth it.

Definitely going to rejuvenate them to some degree without taking away all of the originality if I can. I find I am fascinated by these older type of watches, you can tell they were built to last. I also like the sense of times gone by that they can conjure up and wonder about their history and previous lives. Am I just a bit of a nostalgic dreamer or does anyone else ever look at an old timepiece and wonder about the places it has been and the things that have happened to it. There is a story in every scratch and cracked crystal.

Will where can I purchase the lume pack. Working on a MST and the dial could do with some of this magic treatment.

Yes, please advise if you can. I would like to have a look.

Thanks.

I know, it is a work of art!. It does actually work but I don't know what it is on the end. If push comes to shove I was just thinking about filing it up so it looks a bit prettier. If a new stem and crown became available I would replace them. How hard is silver solder and would it file up ok? I do hope no-one has tried their hand with a stick welder :lol:

I'm tempted to say leave it as it is because it's part of the watch's history and it certainly makes it unique.

If you are determined to modify it, and if it is silver solder, then it'll be plenty hard enough to file and shape. Personally I think it's great!

Okay, those shoes you've got on at the moment are horrendous! Get youself some Nikes! Oh, and a mohican!

See where I'm going with this?

If anyone says anything, tell 'em that it was repaired by Winston Churchill after he gave it a whack whilst laying some bricks. Or, it belonged to a Spitfire pilot and the old one was shot off!

• Like 1

Whoa. This is way too spooky. When I took out the stem and all the debris fell out it looked to me suspiciously like brick dust and cigar ash.

It must have been Winston wot dun it. You were right all along.

• Like 1