Lathe work

On 4/23/2022 at 3:18 AM, RichardHarris123 said:

Yes. Unavailable, so bought blanks 

Without the original  you are going need someone with some real skill. How about the dimensions, have you got anywhere with that ?

On 4/23/2022 at 3:21 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Without the original  you are going need someone with some real skill. How about the dimensions, have you got anywhere with that ?

Have you spoke to John or watchweasol they are sh hot at identifying parts . 

On 4/23/2022 at 3:45 AM, RichardHarris123 said:

Posted before, no one could find the stem, so bought blanks. Bi might have to spend hours with a drill and file.

You're kidding ? It has to be super accurate, you don't have a pattern.

On 4/23/2022 at 3:49 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

You're kidding ? It has to be super accurate, you don't have a 

On 4/23/2022 at 3:45 AM, RichardHarris123 said:

Posted before, no one could find the stem, so bought blanks. Bi might have to spend hours with a drill and file.

Is this a one off or are you planning  on more repairs ?

On 4/23/2022 at 4:13 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ah OK. 

I'm a bit confused ? So you just want to repair this one watch and watch repair is not going to be a hobby as such ?

Sorry for the confusion.  I am doing watch repair as a hobby.  The stemis a one off. 

On 4/23/2022 at 4:49 AM, LittleWatchShop said:

2022-04-22 16_49_06-Omega 40.6 movement parts new old stock _ eBay and 7 more pages - Personal - Mic.png

Do you know if all 40.6's have the same stem?

8 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Sorry for the confusion.  I am doing watch repair as a hobby.  The stemis a one off. 

I did realise that Rich when I looked back at some of our discussions. I think my brain was a bit fried after my point collecting jaunt. It was funny lol. But I think I've really upset someone I used to talk to. Oh well you can't please everyone. So do you definitely have to make the stem for this Omega. From what I know it's a pretty  skillful job, more so if you have no pattern to work to. Its something  I would only be attempting under a scope, when i finally get around to setting my lathe up. If you can put it on the back burner for a year or two  I would have a go you when I've got some skill under  my belt. There's  a pro on YouTube that is amazing at this stuff Joe an Asian lad, he might be fairly local.

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I did realise that Rich when I looked back at some of our discussions. I think my brain was a bit fried after my point collecting jaunt. It was funny lol. But I think I've really upset someone I used to talk to. Oh well you can't please everyone. So do you definitely have to make the stem for this Omega. From what I know it's a pretty  skillful job, more so if you have no pattern to work to. Its something  I would only be attempting under a scope, when i finally get around to setting my lathe up. If you can put it on the back burner for a year or two  I would have a go you when I've got some skill under  my belt. There's  a pro on YouTube that is amazing at this stuff Joe an Asian lad, he might be fairly local.

Yes my brain was fried too.  Had a couple of beers, so apologies if I upset anyone. 

8 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Yes my brain was fried too.  Had a couple of beers, so apologies if I upset anyone. 

If you can please some of the people some of the time then that's as much as anyone can expect. I think it was a bit in vien as I don't think it's helped me. Let me  explain last nights eccentricity. After 500 posts you are supposed to be able to make up your own rank name. The one I had and even worse the one I have now, upsets me. All I'm saying is my efforts where  in memory of a dear friend and I know he would appreciated even if no one else did. 💔

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

52 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Do you know if all 40.6's have the same stem?

I cannot say for certain. If it were me, I would take a chance. 

Turning a stem is a relatively easy task IMO. I have made a few and I am just an amateur. But you need a good lathe and a filing rest...and some practice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Turning a stem is a relatively easy task IMO. I have made a few and I am just an amateur. But you need a good lathe and a filing rest...and some practice.

One of the sellers is a watchmaker, hopefully he'll know.  If not I'll take the chance. 

8 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

How did you start LWS. Its something  I really want to learn, that and balance  staff turning. 2 things things that usually  put me off buying a watch . I'm in the process of deciding  what gravers to use.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

How did you start LWS. Its something  I really want to learn, that and balance  staff turning. 2 things things that usually  put me off buying a watch . I'm in the process of deciding  what gravers to use.

I started with just playing around turning various shapes on brass.  Then I needed a screw, so I made a few until I was satisfied. Next, I turned a stem, but a started with a stem of the correct tap. Then I turned the various notches and filed down the square. I think at that point I made a staff...again modifying another.

i have spent many many hours with a small amount of success, but I continue to improve. Making screws is the easiest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I started with just playing around turning various shapes on brass.  Then I needed a screw, so I made a few until I was satisfied. Next, I turned a stem, but a started with a stem of the correct tap. Then I turned the various notches and filed down the square. I think at that point I made a staff...again modifying another.

i have spent many many hours with a small amount of success, but I continue to improve. Making screws is the easiest.

I'm dying to get going with turning. I have a very steady hand and really good hand and eye coordination . I used to wood turn years ago and was pretty  good at it. I definitely need  a scope over my lathe though, I just can't get on with the close proximity of loupes.

You have very similar thought processes to me. I might pick your brains if you don't mind when I'm ready to begin .

I was thinking of buying some staff blanks to practice on, they're fairly cheap.

• Thanks 1

If you want to learn lathe work as it pertains to watchmaking, LWS started right. Start with brass, practice getting nice curly chips in the beginning, it takes some time to figure out how to posture the graver, then when you have a feel for it, practice making cylinders. With a micrometer you can see straight away visually with the spindle and anvil if you're cylindrical or tapered. Then practice making nice crisp square shoulders. Then two cylinders, with square shoulders. Then, cylinders to a specific diameter. Then to diameter and length. Then do it with steel. When it's automatic with steel, move on to blue steel. Part of the reason of going through these steps is to develop a feel for the graver and the different materials, and you will become very good at detecting a dull graver and sharpening gravers in the process.

In my opinion it's good to start with steel gravers. Get good with them, then you can move on to carbide. Carbide stays sharper longer, especially in blue steel, but it less forgiving as the tip/edge chip far more easily than steel. Chip the tip, and you can't make a square shoulder until you resharpen. Also, carbide really works best if lapped after sharpening, either on a charged copper or cast iron (spinning) lap, or on an ultra fine diamond wheel, like a D7. Steel gravers you just need a medium India stone and a decent Arkansas to get your edge.

When your hand graver skills are looking good, then start trying out the slide rest (if you have one).

Edited by nickelsilver
  • Thanks 2