New member from the UK

Ashes

Good afternoon all, 

I'm a new memeber from Cardiff in my late twenties just starting to dabble in this mesmerising world of watch making / repair. After watching what feels like several hundred hours of youtube videos on the subject over the past year, I've decided to take the plunge with Mark's course.

I've already gone ahead and obtained most of the required tools to get me started, aside from the necessary oils which I intend to purchase once I've stripped down my first movement and know that I can do it as a proof of concept.

I've picked up a small number of really great looking pocket watches for a decent price, some working & some not, from brands such as Omega, Waltham & Elgin. This is ideally where I would like to start, by doing my best to bring these wonderful feats of engineering and design back to life.

However, before I touch these antique pieces of history, I think I'll grab a Seagull ST3600 at first and use this to practice using the tools and handling the small & delicate parts, correct oiling, etc. Once I'm more accustomed to the process and  feel more comfortable, then I'll try my first repair / restoration.

I hope to aid my journey with this forum and look forward to being part of this community.

Anyway, back to working my way through Marks course and looking at all the nice tools that I wish I could afford! 😅

Regards,
Ash

Hello Ash and welcome to the forum.  The world of Horology is indeed mesmerising and also addictive. You could fill a room with all the tools but the best advice I can give you is to buy the best you can afford and what you need not because its a must have and only used once in a blu moon. The best does not nesseserily have the name bergeon on it either. there are others  Star,  F*F, Horotec to name but a few

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashes said:

Good afternoon all, 

I'm a new memeber from Cardiff in my late twenties just starting to dabble in this mesmerising world of watch making / repair. After watching what feels like several hundred hours of youtube videos on the subject over the past year, I've decided to take the plunge with Mark's course.

I've already gone ahead and obtained most of the required tools to get me started, aside from the necessary oils which I intend to purchase once I've stripped down my first movement and know that I can do it as a proof of concept.

I've picked up a small number of really great looking pocket watches for a decent price, some working & some not, from brands such as Omega, Waltham & Elgin. This is ideally where I would like to start, by doing my best to bring these wonderful feats of engineering and design back to life.

However, before I touch these antique pieces of history, I think I'll grab a Seagull ST3600 at first and use this to practice using the tools and handling the small & delicate parts, correct oiling, etc. Once I'm more accustomed to the process and  feel more comfortable, then I'll try my first repair / restoration.

I hope to aid my journey with this forum and look forward to being part of this community.

Anyway, back to working my way through Marks course and looking at all the nice tools that I wish I could afford! 😅

Regards,
Ash

Welcome Ash. I joined here last week as a beginner. The pros are a top bunch of lads and will give you as much help as they can. Please spend time taking pictures inside the watch and the dial as these are a massive help to them in their diagnosis of any problems you might have. Also as much information as you can provide as a beginner. I would suggest any small queries could be addressed by others a bit further on than yourself and amateurs. If not will point you in the right direction of who to ask. Please use the thanks and likes icons as this shows your appreciation. Enjoy your time here, I love it 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum Ash. Envy the names of the pocket watches you have been able to get. Very little available here in Australia.

They might be around and it is just possible that people don't know or care enough to move them on.

• Like 1