How do you replace hunter watch crystals?

Hello all,

I have a few of hunter-style pocket watches that need crystals replaced.  I am finding conflicting information online and in videos on what to do.  Some say to use a regular press, but some say not to.  Some say to use a Robur press, but others say that hunter crystals are too thin to safely use on one.  Others I'm hearing say to heat up the bezel ring to expand it, place the crystal in, and then let the bezel shrink down and clamp into it.

So far I have no clear answer.  I don't have a whole lot of these, so I don't want to invest too much into a solution.  I also played around with the idea of just getting the largest size crystal that can drop directly into the bezel, and using crystal cement.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

4 minutes ago, GregG said:

Hello all,

I have a few of hunter-style pocket watches that need crystals replaced.  I am finding conflicting information online and in videos on what to do.  Some say to use a regular press, but some say not to.  Some say to use a Robur press, but others say that hunter crystals are too thin to safely use on one.  Others I'm hearing say to heat up the bezel ring to expand it, place the crystal in, and then let the bezel shrink down and clamp into it.

So far I have no clear answer.  I don't have a whole lot of these, so I don't want to invest too much into a solution.  I also played around with the idea of just getting the largest size crystal that can drop directly into the bezel, and using crystal cement.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

I actually like your last Idea as these crystals are not subjected to outside elements as they are protected by the lid.  I have a situation now where the bezel for the Hunter PW is actually not round when installed and so cant fit a crystal....I am stumped.

• Like 1

The easiest way for you is to find a good fitting glass and cement it in. In order for a satisfactory job the glass should be as tight in the bezel as you can get. The proper way and it’s the old way is to first heat up the bezel. Don’t forget years ago the glue that was used was not clear and it would take hours to dry and it left a yellowish colour. That is why heat was preferred.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

The easiest way for you is to find a good fitting glass and cement it in. In order for a satisfactory job the glass should be as tight in the bezel as you can get. The proper way and it’s the old way is to first heat up the bezel. Don’t forget years ago the glue that was used was not clear and it would take hours to dry and it left a yellowish colour. That is why heat was preferred.   

What about my oblong bezel? Round does not work

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

Are we talking about a glass crystal or plastic? Plastic Hunter crystals are so much more forgiving than the glass.

Glass.  Normally my go-to is plastic, but as far as I'm aware, anything other than hi-dome plastic crystals don't have the step in them for grabbing with a crystal lift tool, and I have trouble getting an even grip on stepless ones.

8 hours ago, GregG said:

Glass.  Normally my go-to is plastic, but as far as I'm aware, anything other than hi-dome plastic crystals don't have the step in them for grabbing with a crystal lift tool, and I have trouble getting an even grip on stepless ones.

I'm still not quite sure on the same page here? We might be on the same page but not sure?

I snipped out an image from the GS crystal catalog. You can see a variety of around shapes including those that have the edge for the crystal lift. As you can see I circled the hunting crystal those are normally paperthin never have a lip as are just too thin.

The best way I found is if it's plastic slightly bigger than its supposed to be to drop in. Using a crystal press you can get it to bow just enough that it will fit the bezel perfectly no glue is needed and if you're lucky can still close the lid of the case.

crystal shapes and hunting.JPG