Watch cleaning lighter fluid

According  to the web   Zippo bought Ronsonol in 2010 and the proportions of the fuel is 70% light hydrotreated distillate and 30% hydrotreated light naphtha.

consensus seems to be its the same and safe to use,  and when evaporated  leaves nil deposits, and is not miscible in water.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

According  to the web   Zippo bought Ronsonol in 2010 and the proportions of the fuel is 70% light hydrotreated distillate and 30% hydrotreated light naphtha.

Now we just have to know the difference between „Destillates (Petroleum)“ and „Naphta (Petroleum)“ mentioned in the SDS. In my world it is the same…

Edited by Kalanag

CAS number for Ronsonol is 68410-97-9. "Distillates (petroleum), light distillate hydrotreating
process, low-boiling"

CAS for the benzine that everyone uses for watchmaking purposes in Switzerland is 64742-49-0. "Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light"

CAS for the naphtha I got when I specifically asked for "naphtha" at my chemical supplier* 64742-95-6 "Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic"

*When I asked, he wanted know why I wanted that specific chemical. Told him it was for watch/clock cleaning. He said "whaaat?! Use Benzine! (the other naphtha)". I tried it a couple of times, seemed to work ok, but the "aromatic" part of its description is no joke- it made me feel ill and those around me.

So if you get some naphtha, make sure it's the one the Swiss call benzine- hydrotreated light, 64742-49-0.

On that note, even here the term benzine gets confusing: I needed some years back, went to a different chemist and they gave me benzine rectifie instead of my usual benzine leger. He said it was exactly the same stuff, different name. Well it left visible traces when it evaporated... so I got the good stuff again.

On an even more different note, when I needed Coleman fuel (talk about a confusing topic, it's some magic mix apparently) for my camping stove, my usual chemist said, "Eh? Just put benzine in it!" No, Coleman stoves have to have Coleman fuel. He insisted, I tried, and I've run many liters of it through that old stove with zero issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

CAS number for Ronsonol is 68410-97-9. "Distillates (petroleum), light distillate hydrotreating
process, low-boiling"

CAS for the benzine that everyone uses for watchmaking purposes in Switzerland is 64742-49-0. "Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light"

CAS for the naphtha I got when I specifically asked for "naphtha" at my chemical supplier* 64742-95-6 "Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic"

*When I asked, he wanted know why I wanted that specific chemical. Told him it was for watch/clock cleaning. He said "whaaat?! Use Benzine! (the other naphtha)". I tried it a couple of times, seemed to work ok, but the "aromatic" part of its description is no joke- it made me feel ill and those around me.

So if you get some naphtha, make sure it's the one the Swiss call benzine- hydrotreated light, 64742-49-0.

On that note, even here the term benzine gets confusing: I needed some years back, went to a different chemist and they gave me benzine rectifie instead of my usual benzine leger. He said it was exactly the same stuff, different name. Well it left visible traces when it evaporated... so I got the good stuff again.

On an even more different note, when I needed Coleman fuel (talk about a confusing topic, it's some magic mix apparently) for my camping stove, my usual chemist said, "Eh? Just put benzine in it!" No, Coleman stoves have to have Coleman fuel. He insisted, I tried, and I've run many liters of it through that old stove with zero issues.

Useful information nickelsilver,  i think you've cleared up some thoughts about naptha. Just wondering about the aromatic side of it if anyone knows. Could this be an additive to prevent misuse and abuse ? in a similar manner to denatured methylated spirted, tastes nasy and the obvious violet colour to denote a hazardous substance .

11 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Useful information nickelsilver,  i think you've cleared up some thoughts about naptha. Just wondering about the aromatic side of it if anyone knows. Could this be an additive to prevent misuse and abuse ? in a similar manner to denatured methylated spirted, tastes nasy and the obvious violet colour to denote a hazardous substance .

I'm not a chemical expert by any means, but I would bet a Coke and be 99.999999% sure to win that the stinky naphtha is stinky by nature, not to dissuade misuse. Methylated spirit is based on ethanol, so the potential for misuse it there (and the methanol they add is pretty much impossible to separate by normal distillation processes). I can't see why anyone would misuse naphtha; if they want to huff something for a buzz maybe, but there are easier to get chems for that!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

…the stinky naphtha is stinky by nature, not to dissuade misuse…

I agree! Destillates consist of aliphatic (linear) and aromatic (circular) hydrocarbon chains. The circular chains are stinky and more harmful.

Naphta for medicinical purposes is purified and has linear chains only. That‘s what pharmacys in Germany sell as „Benzinum“ and what I use for watch cleaning.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

I'm not a chemical expert by any means, but I would bet a Coke and be 99.999999% sure to win that the stinky naphtha is stinky by nature, not to dissuade misuse. Methylated spirit is based on ethanol, so the potential for misuse it there (and the methanol they add is pretty much impossible to separate by normal distillation processes). I can't see why anyone would misuse naphtha; if they want to huff something for a buzz maybe, but there are easier to get chems for that!

No nothing added. Apparently some of the first studies of these chemicals were on benzene which has an aromatic property, this term stayed for similar structured chemicals so their aroma or non aroma is not directly related. It now only relates to their atomic structure. Aliphatic is generally at a different end of the scale. Aliphatic tends to be a lower carbon structure, Aromatic tends to be a higher carbon structure. As i understand it from some reading.

So as it seems benzine legere aka naphtha hydrotreated light is pretty darn close to Ronsonol, and is the "proper stuff" (used in countless Swiss factories and workshops), and the cheapest I can find Ronsonol is 9 dollars for 355ml, at Walmart in the U.S. (it's 7 bucks for 125ml here), and a liter of benzine is 10 bucks here in Switzerland, JDM's long fought battle to promote the "good stuff" is justified. Much cheaper and almost certainly more pure (still don't know what all is exactly in Ronsonol "distillates" plural in the above description).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

So as it seems benzine legere aka naphtha hydrotreated light is pretty darn close to Ronsonol, and is the "proper stuff" (used in countless Swiss factories and workshops), and the cheapest I can find Ronsonol is 9 dollars for 355ml, at Walmart in the U.S. (it's 7 bucks for 125ml here), and a liter of benzine is 10 bucks here in Switzerland, JDM's long fought battle to promote the "good stuff" is justified. Much cheaper and almost certainly more pure (still don't know what all is exactly in Ronsonol "distillates" plural in the above description).

Heya @nickelsilver

A 133ml tin of RONSONOL costs HKD30 (USD3.82) here.  I plan to use it to clean components that cannot tolerate IPA and which contain shellac-mounted jewels.

image.thumb.png.2fb8db8fd1e563d4ba1f18bb63c20b32.png

My product label says C08 - C14 Hydrocarbons.

image.png.8995b687db3066536fa26df4019bd471.png"

C08 - C14 is a "non-tradenamed" class of Light Petroleum Distillates. 

Looking at a 2013 Material Safety Sheet for RONSONOL Lighter Fluid located at:

https://bit.ly/3R8r0eO

We will find the following notation:

image.png.028791c982b071ec1f8132c60bb0bcb6.png

However, an older data sheet (from 2010) located at:

https://bit.ly/3wucDJP

States that RONSONOL Liquid Lighter Fluid DOES contain Naphtha:

image.png.fcc471145bc759a60f2c1795f67f0994.png

According to Wikipedia, Petroleum Naphtha is "An intermediate hydrocarbon liquid stream derived from the refining of crude oil with CAS-no 64742-48-9", but the numbers don't even match between the two "Naphthas". 

What is also interesting is this :  "Naphtha is a general term as each refinery produces its own naphthas with their own unique initial and final boiling points and other physical and compositional characteristics."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_naphtha

Anyway, it does not look like RONSONOL, technically speaking, contains "Naphtha" any more, perhaps due to regulatory or cost concerns.  But that may not matter.  What is NOW in RONSONOL may be so closely related to Naphtha as a hydrocarbon complex that it might behave exactly the same way as Naphtha or Petroleum Ether as a solvent for oil-based contaminants in watch parts.  

Of course, confirmation of this evidence-free hypothesis beckons like a glinting thing in a newly dug hole!

g.
-----

Disclosure:  For almost 10 years I pursued a part-time career in fuel trading.  It was an interesting experience, and composed part of my duties as an executive connected to a New York Merchant Bank that ran an energy trading book.  I did not pursue much business in lighter weight hydrocarbons (Jet Fuel) but I did do a lot of business in Gasoline and Diesel and (sometimes) Bunker.  I also traded Coal.  At the time, I found hydrocarbons (and their derivatives) fascinating and I did my best to learn a little bit about organic chemistry, hydrocarbons and their close cousins, thermoplastics.  I still find all of these topics fascinating, but I am no expert.  Here's a photo of me at the old fueling station in Subic Bay, Philippines where the US 7th Fleet used to hang out.  When they pulled out they left behind quite the fuel depot...

image.png

Edited by Gramham
Removed extra picture

50 minutes ago, Gramham said:

Heya @nickelsilver

A 133ml tin of RONSONOL costs HKD30 (USD3.82) here.  I plan to use it to clean components that cannot tolerate IPA and which contain shellac-mounted jewels.

image.thumb.png.2fb8db8fd1e563d4ba1f18bb63c20b32.png

My product label says C08 - C14 Hydrocarbons.

image.png.8995b687db3066536fa26df4019bd471.png"

C08 - C14 is a "non-tradenamed" class of Light Petroleum Distillates. 

Looking at a 2013 Material Safety Sheet for RONSONOL Lighter Fluid located at:

https://bit.ly/3R8r0eO

We will find the following notation:

image.png.028791c982b071ec1f8132c60bb0bcb6.png

However, an older data sheet (from 2010) located at:

https://bit.ly/3wucDJP

States that RONSONOL Liquid Lighter Fluid DOES contain Naphtha:

image.png.fcc471145bc759a60f2c1795f67f0994.png

According to Wikipedia, Petroleum Naphtha is "An intermediate hydrocarbon liquid stream derived from the refining of crude oil with CAS-no 64742-48-9", but the numbers don't even match between the two "Naphthas". 

What is also interesting is this :  "Naphtha is a general term as each refinery produces its own naphthas with their own unique initial and final boiling points and other physical and compositional characteristics."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_naphtha

Anyway, it does not look like RONSONOL, technically speaking, contains "Naphtha" any more, perhaps due to regulatory or cost concerns.  But that may not matter.  What is NOW in RONSONOL may be so closely related to Naphtha as a hydrocarbon complex that it might behave exactly the same way as Naphtha or Petroleum Ether as a solvent for oil-based contaminants in watch parts.  

Of course, confirmation of this evidence-free hypothesis beckons like a glinting thing in a newly dug hole!

g.
-----

Disclosure:  For almost 10 years I pursued a part-time career in fuel trading.  It was an interesting experience, and composed part of my duties as an executive connected to a New York Merchant Bank that ran an energy trading book.  I did not pursue much business in lighter weight hydrocarbons (Jet Fuel) but I did do a lot of business in Gasoline and Diesel and (sometimes) Bunker.  I also traded Coal.  At the time, I found hydrocarbons (and their derivatives) fascinating and I did my best to learn a little bit about organic chemistry, hydrocarbons and their close cousins, thermoplastics.  I still find all of these topics fascinating, but I am no expert.  Here's a photo of me at the old fueling station in Subic Bay, Philippines where the US 7th Fleet used to hang out.  When they pulled out they left behind quite the fuel depot...

image.png

I have seen labels of ronsonol stating its content as 95% light naptha and 5% medium naptha. Also old posts from other forums saying that its make up has changed since zippo took over.  Low carbon to hydrogen content c4-c8 is generally considered as a light naptha and evaporates more quickly than heavy naptha which is generally c7 - c14 ish. So a little confused as to the description you give of a light naptha after the photo of the ronsonol label ?

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I have seen labels of ronsonol stating its content as 95% light naptha and 5% medium naptha. Also old posts from other forums saying that its make up has changed since zippo took over.  Low carbon to hydrogen content c4-c8 is generally considered as a light naptha and evaporates more quickly than heavy naptha which is generally c7 - c14 ish. So a little confused as to the description you give of a light naptha after the photo of the ronsonol label ?

Hello @Neverenoughwatches,

It looks like RONSONOL has expunged the word (and ingredient) "Naptha" from its product.

One of the Data Sheets I was referring to is 9 years old, and the other 12 years old.  The formulation has almost certainly changed since ZIPPO took over, most likely (guess on my part alert!) because they probably just switched to putting ZIPPO fuel in RONSONOL cans, thus achieving an even greater economy of scale than before 

That would make commercial sense but I have no information to confirm this.

image.png.3b4837cebaca8c0737732962f6e313ad.png

I just looked around (again) and found the above (https://bit.ly/3PUDhlLbut this source is hardly what I would consider reliable (no sources, no corroboration).  

The point I was trying to make, but probably not well, was that the hydrocarbon complex that they are using now and "Naphtha" - which is a name given to a family of hydrocarbon distillates, not a specific product...a little like when we say "Jet Fuel" - may have the same ability to dissolve contaminants in watch parts regardless.  Isn't that what matters?

Is Naphtha in RONSONOL any more?  My guess is probably not, based on what's on the label and anecdotal evidence.

Is C08-C14 Naphtha?  Not according to what I've found so far, but you may know more than me about that.

Will RONSONOL dissolve watch contaminants as effectively now as when it contained "Naphtha"?

Only running controlled tests will prove or disprove that, and that's where I will be pointing my attention because if it does then I have no need for "Naphtha" being in RONSONOL.  It wouldn't matter.

Hope that's clear. 

That said, if there was something written in err in my previous post I want to make it right, so people reading this are not led astray when reading this stuff.  So...do you think there is an error now now?  Where? 

Let me know and I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I get up (it's 23h15 now) and fix things up.

g.
----

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gramham said:

Hello @Neverenoughwatches,

It looks like RONSONOL has expunged the word (and ingredient) "Naptha" from its product.

One of the Data Sheets I was referring to is 9 years old, and the other 12 years old.  The formulation has almost certainly changed since ZIPPO took over, most likely (guess on my part alert!) because they probably just switched to putting ZIPPO fuel in RONSONOL cans, thus achieving an even greater economy of scale than before 

That would make commercial sense but I have no information to confirm this.

image.png.3b4837cebaca8c0737732962f6e313ad.png

I just looked around (again) and found the above (https://bit.ly/3PUDhlLbut this source is hardly what I would consider reliable (no sources, no corroboration).  

The point I was trying to make, but probably not well, was that the hydrocarbon complex that they are using now and "Naphtha" - which is a name given to a family of hydrocarbon distillates, not a specific product...a little like when we say "Jet Fuel" - may have the same ability to dissolve contaminants in watch parts regardless.  Isn't that what matters?

Is Naphtha in RONSONOL any more?  My guess is probably not, based on what's on the label and anecdotal evidence.

Is C08-C14 Naphtha?  Not according to what I've found so far, but you may know more than me about that.

Will RONSONOL dissolve watch contaminants as effectively now as when it contained "Naphtha"?

Only running controlled tests will prove or disprove that, and that's where I will be pointing my attention because if it does then I have no need for "Naphtha" being in RONSONOL.  It wouldn't matter.

Hope that's clear. 

That said, if there was something written in err in my previous post I want to make it right, so people reading this are not led astray when reading this stuff.  So...do you think there is an error now now?  Where? 

Let me know and I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I get up (it's 23h15 now) and fix things up.

g.
----

Information can vary from source to source G and probably not always accurate. I tend to use Wikipedia more than anywhere else, i would imagine information here should be better. Varnish makers and painter's naptha is in quite a few different lighter fuels i have used but never stated the percentage content. Old hippy used ronsonol for years he may know a bit more of its content, although irrelevant as this has since changed now. But as far as i know was 100 % naptha so also why it was a good cleaner equivalent to benzine.  I did find a chart with naptha variations and their hydrocarbon structure. Vm and p was a fairly high carbon to hydrogen ratio and regarded as a heavy naptha and slower to evaporate than a light naptha. Makes sense as a higher hydrogen ratio has lower boiling and flash points hence lighter and evaporates more quickly.

8 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

process, low-boiling"

Good luck finding 64742-49-0 in the US.  Chemical supply houses have it, at more than ten times what you are paying in Switzerland.

White Gas or Coleman fuel are the closest things readily available here,  but they typically have additives like rust preventer. 

If anyone knows of a reasonably priced US supply of the good stuff,  I'm all ears 🙂

Cheers!

58 minutes ago, dadistic said:

Good luck finding 64742-49-0 in the US.  Chemical supply houses have it, at more than ten times what you are paying in Switzerland.

White Gas or Coleman fuel are the closest things readily available here,  but they typically have additives like rust preventer. 

If anyone knows of a reasonably priced US supply of the good stuff,  I'm all ears 🙂

Cheers!

Yes I actually used the number and searched over several .something domains and it always brought up massive chemical supply houses. But it also brought up some version of hexane- which I recall (ok 21 years ago) being readily available in the U.S. at that time.

Some digging and knowing that hexane/benzine/naphtha can all be the same, use the CAS # if asking and get the right stuff.

My wife, who grew up in Argentina and was curious why I'm writing to my geeks and not staring into her eyes just told me gasoline is called- nafta there. And pretty sure DeCarle says to use high grade gasoline in one of his books, haha. 😁

Don't clean parts in gasoline. Do it in benzine, as the Swiss and French and Chermans call it. Or hexane (get the right CAS #) as the yanks call it, or Hexy Bexy Benzinwinee as I assume it might be called in the UK, with the right CAS #.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

My wife, who grew up in Argentina and was curious why I'm writing to my geeks and not staring into her eyes just told me gasoline is called- nafta there. And pretty sure DeCarle says to use high grade gasoline in one of his books, haha. 😁

Don't clean parts in gasoline. Do it in benzine, as the Swiss and French and Chermans call it. Or hexane (get the right CAS #) as the yanks call it, or Hexy Bexy Benzinwinee as I assume it might be called in the UK, with the right CAS #.

Hello @nickelsilver,

I think you're right.  A lot of people (including me) use the "trade names" that were created as a convenience and shorthand within a sector or industry ("Kleenex") or even the marketing department of a single leading company ("ESSO Premium Gas") to refer to things as if they were either canonical or categorical.  When it comes to petrochemicals, both of the above appear to be happening. 

As you mention in your posting, gasoline may not be the best option for cleaning watch parts.  What we call "Gas" is actually a recipe sold out of pumps at fueling stations that represents the removal (and addition) of tons of things from the feedstock crude oil that in and of itself is a highly complicated organic chemistry stew that resulted from millions of years of the "fermentation" of ancient variegated vegetable matter.   There are no fixed points to start from, and then we humans made it even more complicated by adding stuff.

My (guess) is one of the biggest problems with using gasoline these days is all the additives, some of which may not evaporate, leaving a deposit or film behind.  This may be by design.  If I remember right, it was an engineer working under Charles Kettering (of General Motors fame) who first proposed the addition of lead to fuel to eliminate an undesired characteristic of that fuel, that is to say engine knock, or premature detonation.  This was in 1921 and a little history of that can be found here:

https://bit.ly/3Rdctyw

A very interesting general timeline of gasoline additives and their phasing-out (usually due to health or environmental concerns) can be found at:

https://bit.ly/3dMfxTA

The CAS System

The Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) system, which you rightly point out as a candidate fixed starting point, tracks molecules by their chemical composition.  It may be our best option as a lookup because (A) It attempts to segregate things down at the molecular level; and (B) The CAS number is something that seems to be printed on the side of things due to regulatory requirements.  At least that number is being divulged.

The CAS number(s) listed for ZIPPO liquid lighter fuel as of 2021 are:

image.png.861169b7b8414fbdfc61346ca8d21dc6.png

Source:  https://bit.ly/3wxLVzQ

The CAS number(s) listed for RONSONOL liquid lighter fluid as of 2015 are:

image.png.fc67b4b0801577c17f8ce0d021b96096.png

So ZIPPO and RONSONOL do share an ingredient (64742-49-0) and that ingredient is  identified in the ZIPPO documentation as the one that is desired ("Naphtha").  But in other places on the Internet it is baldly stated that "ZIPPO removed Naphtha from RONSONOL after the takeover":

image.png.fdd86cddc75793e60896925f3d084f68.png

This, along with a potential recipe change for RONSONOL, is leading to a LOT of confusion.  

Hydrocarbon Families

The next thing we might want to address is the fact that the RONSONOL recipe may vary according to the target jurisdiction.  In other words, your RONSONOL may not be my RONSONOL.

In the 2015 RONSONOL datasheet, the following hydrocarbon group (C7-C9) is listed in the ingredients:

image.png.a265355a91adde523ed8ebda696207dd.png

Source:  https://bit.ly/3Km4cWx

But my RONSONOL the following hydrocarbon group (C8-C14) is listed in the ingredients:

image.png.993009bb4742f8dc9bf5f2b7e6af41dc.png

So the same branded product does not appear to have the same formulation worldwide!

This may be due to regulatory restrictions, economics or some other factor(s) that I am unaware of.  It may also be the case that C7-C9 and C8-C14 share enough characteristics to be substitutes for each other and both classes fall under the same generic trade name(s).  This is beyond my (current) understanding and knowledge.

Questions:

- Do you have a can of RONSONOL on hand? 
- Does your can list C7-C9 or C8-C14?
- Can you post a photo of your RONSONOL hydrocarbon labeling?

NAPHTHA

For those still seeking "Naphtha" as a cleaning agent...good luck.  It's actually a family of compounds with a bunch of different trade names and a bunch of different CAS numbers, and therefore a really hard target to hit in terms of procurement.  It is also a highly toxic and flammable substance that is subject to very tight regulation everywhere.

Perhaps even worse, "Naptha" has many, many aliases:

Trade Names

• Naphtha
  • Hi-flash naphtha
  • Benzin
  • Petroleum benzin
  • Petroleum naphtha
  • Benzin B 70
  • Amsco H-SB
  • Super VMP
  • Amsco H-J
  • Solvents, naphthas
  • Kwick Dry
  • Naphtesol M
  • Exxon Naphtha 5
  • Naphtha 5
  • HI-SOPL
  • Exxsol D 3135
  • Naphtha 200
  • Paragon 100E+
  • Paragon 100E Plus
  • Naphtha HT
  • Shellsol D 25
  • Terlitol D 60
  • Texsolve V
  • Shellsol D 40
  • Sanstar-sol 600D
  • Aromina 150

CAS Numbers
Even at the molecular level, the substance we call "Naphtha" is a bit of a moving target.  While everything does seem to have a unique CAS number according to  the Common Registry of the American Chemical Society, that may not prove to be ultimately true in the sense of a 1:1 mapping between a CAS Number and a Trade Name or even a CAS name.  If you search the ACS CAS registry with the phrase "Naphta", you are presented with a single result  that has been assigned the CAS number:  8030-30-6

But in that result, the following CAS numbers are either associated or deprecated with respect to the name "Naphtha":

• 8030-31-7
  • 50813-73-5
  • 54847-97-1
  • 116010-52-7
  • 121448-83-7
  • 345960-90-9
  • 1217187-52-4

Source:  https://bit.ly/3TaLkOi

But the ZIPPO lighter fluid MDS lists the CAS number for its "Naphtha, petroleum, hydrotreated light" as: 64742-49-0.  Unfortunately, this number does not seem to appear in the ACS CAS datasheet for "Naphtha" at 8030-30-6.  But when you use the ACS CAS lookup service to look up the number ("4742-49-0") and not the name ("Naphtha"), you do indeed get navigated to a datasheet titled "Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light", which is located at:  

https://bit.ly/3wvTF5z

The ACS owns the CAS system and assigns the numbers.  If anyone knows what "Naphtha" is, the ACS should.

CONCLUSION

Depending on where you look (and when) RONSONOL is either 0% or 100% "Naphtha".

"Naphtha" (to me) seems like a bit of a rabbit hole.  Lots of fun to explore - if you have the time - but maybe not a path to clear results or a clear way forward in the immediate term to address the original question posed.  While the confusion is being worked out we need to get out of this "analysis paralysis".

It might turn out that the RONSONOL you use where you are contains "Naphtha" whereas the RONSONOL I use where I am does not contain "Naphtha"...but both fluids may work equally well to clean watch parts.

What I plan to do now is an evaporation test with my RONSONOL liquid lighter fluid to see if anything is left behind.  I have already identified, characterized and documented the substance to be tested.  What remains is to test it.

My test protocol will be to

A)  Fill three clean glass containers with approximately 1ml of RONSONOL Lighter Fluid (directly tipped from the canister).

B)  Allow the fluid to evaporate under covered but well-ventilated circumstances

C)  Shine a light through the bottom of the containers

D)  Attempt to detect if any residue remains

Until I get my digital microscope, the best I can do in terms of magnification is 2X or 4X.

I'll post my results soon.

g.
----

Edited by Gramham
Added section on hydrocarbon families
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another thing to be aware of, petroleum distillates are often unique to the refinery that makes them. Every refinery is different, and is built to make best use of the feedstocks available in that market.  Often a product will be produced for the local market, and that's it, it is not available elsewhere. 

If you have access to a clean petroleum distillate that can be used as a solvent, and it's low cost, great! If you are  a hobbyist, and want to try something like lighter fluid as a low cost cleaning fluid, have at it!

When I started, I used VM&P Naphtha as a cleaner, and it worked well enough at the time, but it soon became apparent that I wasn't getting the results I wanted.  I looked here in the US for better solvents, and there is technical and lab grade stuff available, but it's expensive.  White gas (Coleman  fuel) is available, but unlike the original "White Gas", it has additives in it that are not helpful for cleaning watch parts. 

It turns out that the commercial watch cleaning solutions available here in the US are actually less expensive than the "clean" petroleum distillates, and do a great job of cleaning watch parts. The stuff I use is low odor, has no ammonia, and is relatively safe compared to some of the other solvents, like Trichloroethylene, that I have around here.  I know of some watchmakers here in the US that use Hexane as a solvent, but again, finding the "right stuff" can be tricky. For instance, Hexane and Hexanes are not the same thing. If you buy solvents and chemicals someplace like Amazon,  you are not likely to see a Material Safety Data Sheet or know the CAS# until after you make a purchase. 

Just now, looking at solvents sold on Ebay, I was finding stuff that some "local business" had re-bottled and was selling as a solvent for arts and crafts, with just a home printed label and no safety data.  Buyer Beware!

My conclusion was since I'm in the US, I would be much better off buying actual watch cleaning and rinsing fluids, even though the upfront cost  looks high.  Compared to equivalent alternatives, though, the cost is reasonable, and they are easily purchased.  No going to a chemical supply house and getting a "quote" and then having to pick your jaw up off the floor when you see the price.

Now, I'm still interested in alternatives, and if I could find  the  CAS# 64742-49-0 Naphtha here at a decent price I'd probably buy some. But so far, I haven't found anything like that at a reasonable cost. 

Cheers!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dadistic said:

Another thing to be aware of, petroleum distillates are often unique to the refinery that makes them. Every refinery is different, and is built to make best use of the feedstocks available in that market.  Often a product will be produced for the local market, and that's it, it is not available elsewhere. 

If you have access to a clean petroleum distillate that can be used as a solvent, and it's low cost, great! If you are  a hobbyist, and want to try something like lighter fluid as a low cost cleaning fluid, have at it!

When I started, I used VM&P Naphtha as a cleaner, and it worked well enough at the time, but it soon became apparent that I wasn't getting the results I wanted.  I looked here in the US for better solvents, and there is technical and lab grade stuff available, but it's expensive.  White gas (Coleman  fuel) is available, but unlike the original "White Gas", it has additives in it that are not helpful for cleaning watch parts. 

It turns out that the commercial watch cleaning solutions available here in the US are actually less expensive than the "clean" petroleum distillates, and do a great job of cleaning watch parts. The stuff I use is low odor, has no ammonia, and is relatively safe compared to some of the other solvents, like Trichloroethylene, that I have around here.  I know of some watchmakers here in the US that use Hexane as a solvent, but again, finding the "right stuff" can be tricky. For instance, Hexane and Hexanes are not the same thing. If you buy solvents and chemicals someplace like Amazon,  you are not likely to see a Material Safety Data Sheet or know the CAS# until after you make a purchase. 

Just now, looking at solvents sold on Ebay, I was finding stuff that some "local business" had re-bottled and was selling as a solvent for arts and crafts, with just a home printed label and no safety data.  Buyer Beware!

My conclusion was since I'm in the US, I would be much better off buying actual watch cleaning and rinsing fluids, even though the upfront cost  looks high.  Compared to equivalent alternatives, though, the cost is reasonable, and they are easily purchased.  No going to a chemical supply house and getting a "quote" and then having to pick your jaw up off the floor when you see the price.

Now, I'm still interested in alternatives, and if I could find  the  CAS# 64742-49-0 Naphtha here at a decent price I'd probably buy some. But so far, I haven't found anything like that at a reasonable cost. 

Cheers!

Hello @dadistic

Great input and THANK YOU for some historical perspective, something that I (for one) am sorely lacking in this arena.

Do you have any RONSONOL around?  I'd be curious (and grateful) if you could take a photo of it's front and side and then see what's in there?  Did you already say that somewhere earlier?

You say you want CAS# 64742-49-0

The most recent (2015) MDS I could find on RONSONOL Lighter Fluid states that it is is composed of that very stuff, and nothing else (https://bit.ly/3Km4cWx) 

image.png.1f28a45209d71f77147511160b506210.png

g.

----

I've checked online what's sold locally, ACE hardware which is a national chain has a 148ml bottle for $3.00 US.

However, it is not the same as what you show.  I've attached a snip of the SDS for the product sold here. Notice that it is not a complete ingredient list, so no way to know what additives or other distillates are in it. 

Ronsonal.thumb.png.92a2cf6005bb5b5e721848ec6e120937.png