Hi y'all and greetings from West Yorkshire :-)

Hello everyone , my name is Ian and i love watches.

I have always liked watches since my father gave me my first Timex military style watch as a lad in the mid 70's.

I am sure i still have it , and it will turn up one of these days ... I bought a Hamilton khaki a few years ago that reminded me of it a lot.

I dont have any real vintage watches yet , I only really have old watches at the moment ... including one or two that need a bit of love to hopefully get them running again... and a couple of slightly newer ones, Breitling Aerospace and Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch that have tempted me over the years ... dont you just love interest free credit 🙂

I wish that i had paid more attention to my fathers tinkering and repairing watches for his friends and friends of friends when i was younger, I guess now i'll have to try and learn the hard way 😞

I dont have any aspirations to being a watchmaker , i'm just an aircraft engineer in my late 50's who would like to be able to take apart and rebuild some simple watches to running order for my own pleasure and to give the old grey matter something else to think about ... and if i could maybe create a watch from an old case with a homemade / designed dial and hands i would like that a lot.

I like leather straps as opposed to bracelets , I dont like gold watches , and i dont like outrageous flashy anything ... I am a simple creature.

Not much else to tell you at the moment , I shall surely be posting a few cries for help soon as i stumble along trying to diy it, or more likely "biy" it ... until i can justify / afford to do Marks watch repair course ... 

I already have my basic toolkit that i bought a good few years ago ,and its had far too easy a life so far and is almost as new so now its time has come ... lets see how many of the tools are worth using and what needs replacing first .... 

Thank you all for listening to my ramblings 

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi there watchweasol , I am originally from Ayrshire , been here in Otley for about 7 years now ... I had been living and working in France for 5 years , then got conned by my manager to fill in at Leeds for a few months .... and here we are 🙂 

Many thanks for the pdf's ... that TZ book looks awesome , there looks like a load off good reading there.

cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the intro Ian, welcome to the WRT forum! I'm also relatively new and I'm in the middle of my first service of an Elgin Grade 313 movement.

My taste in watches is also simple/traditional. I don't care for HUGE watches and I'd rather just have a watch that told time (I can't see the date anyway and having to fiddle with it on the 28th or 30th is too much of a bother).

Would love to own an astronomical-themed watch but their cost is astronomical. The closest I got was a dial made from a meteorite 🙂