Omega Seamaster 300 Service Guide

Paul80

Not sure yet, I have been asked to service one for a friend of a friend who wants to sell it.

I know who risks a watch of that value to a friend of a friend 😂 especially one like me who has only just started servicing and repairing watches.

Will let you know the exact details when it arrives.

Paul

On 2/26/2022 at 1:23 PM, Paul80 said:

Omega Seamaster 300

One of the problems for tech guides are we need a model number of the watch movement not a generic model number of what looks like a sizable series probably of movements based on the link below.

Maybe we could just ignore my paragraph above if I read the fine print it looks like the movement is this OMEGA Co-Axial Master Chronometer Calibre 8912..

But? If you start looking around they been making them for a long time which means that this was not the only movement which is good for you. The older movements like these 565 is going to be a lot easier to find a tech sheet then today where they're all hidden behind a firewall owned by Swatch group. So anything modern in high tech you not going to get a tech sheet for unless you have a Swatch group account which you probably don't. Then even if you a Swatch group account it has to be at the righg level to see the technical documents at least from Omega. In other words the right access gets you the technical sheets for the movements the wrong access only gets you the technical sheets for casing components.

So you basically have to wait to get the watch to see what the movement number is to see if we can find you a tech sheet.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/seamaster/heritage-models/seamaster-300/seamaster-300-master-chronometer/product

On 2/28/2022 at 11:04 AM, mikepilk said:

If it's fairly recent it may have a co-axial escapement - the oiling of which is tricky (you will need a microscope)

The Microscope is no problem, I do all my watch work under one, I suspect not knowing what a co-axial escapement is might be a bigger problem, what is it and how is it different to a normal escapement. 

14 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

I suspect not knowing what a co-axial escapement is might be a bigger problem, what is it and how is it different to a normal escapement. 

That's not a problem it doesn't slow anyone down on this group  their lack of knowledge of whatever they're doing  sometimes

Then you're lucky? Coaxial isn't a problem sort of  you just need some documentation that you normally wouldn't be able to get? At the link below cousins has some this is a tiny fraction of Omega working instructions  you want to get at least two of them while you're here the first one is Omega Working Instruction 40: Rules for Lubrication (1334KB). Then keep on going down the list you need Omega Working Instruction 54: Checking the Co-Axial Escapement Functions (981KB)..

Then it be really nice to have an actual caliber number of what were dealing with because this watch Manufactured over quite a bit of time in the not all coaxial.. If you're lucky it's older and cousins might have a service bulletin if it's newer well Do you really need a service bulletin?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/search?SearchString=Working

If it does have a co-axial escapement, then you simply MUST get pictures!  They're fascinating!  I watched a video wherein George Daniels lectured about it.  The concept and the action of the thing is amazing to me.  So little friction that it barely needs any oil (hence the microscope).  I've not seen one in person, but have watched plenty of videos.  I will be so jealous if you get to work on one.  Those kind of Omegas are really nice.

54 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

They're fascinating!  I watched a video wherein George Daniels lectured about it. 

They surely are. But as it happens, Omega was first reluctant and then applied modifications to Daniel's that left him upset to say the least. After many years of production it didn't proved to be a big enough progress or market differentiator, and nobody else so far has adopted it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jdm said:

They surely are. But as it happens, Omega was first reluctant and then applied modifications to Daniel's that left him upset to say the least. After many years of production it didn't proved to be a big enough progress or market differentiator, and nobody else so far has adopted it.

Strangely enough the coaxial escapement can bring bad memories to me? This is because when I went to the wostep reunion George was supposed to be the speaker but he refused to speak and didn't even show up at all because he was pissed off at Omega. The basic story is that I'm not sure if he actually worded it this way that they mutilated his escapement. Because after all he designed a escapement that used no oil at all and now it has oil. Of course the amusing aspect is that oil isn't for lubrication. But still it's there And George definitely was not happy at all.

Ah, I had not heard about the falling out between master Daniels and Omega.  To hear him speak, he seemed very pleased with his invention.  And Omega had seemed happy to be the one using it.  But I was unaware of any bad blood between the two.  What you say, however, of Omega's interpretation of his design does explain why nobody else seems to be using it.  I'd wondered about that.  Pity.  As conceived, I think it's fascinating.

7 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Ah, I had not heard about the falling out between master Daniels and Omega.  To hear him speak, he seemed very pleased with his invention.  And Omega had seemed happy to be the one using it.  But I was unaware of any bad blood between the two.  What you say, however, of Omega's interpretation of his design does explain why nobody else seems to be using it.  I'd wondered about that.  Pity.  As conceived, I think it's fascinating.

Coaxial movements by Omega are very popular aren't they? I doubt they'll appear in other Swatch brands as they will want to keep it 'high end' (maybe Breguet?) 

Seiko (Grand Seiko) have something similar:

https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-en/news/pressrelease/20201013

• Like 1