anyone know what type of shock protection this is please?

avantbiy

Hi guys, I have been trying to service a Tressa AS 1906 movement only to find that its missing the upper top jewel for the balance. I guess this was a type they used before incabloc. I have attached a photo of the bottom balance jewel. as u can see it has a spring with 3 prongs protruding which hold the jewel in place when the prongs are placed under the collar.

I have also seen this type of shock protection on an Accurist ETA 2409.

I would be grateful if anyone can let me know the name of it and if there is anywhere i can get spares as I couldn't find them on cousins (probably because I don't know the name.

Many thanks

shock.jpg

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Google has redirected us back to a post by Rogart63 on WRT, all show the same pix, but which one is the OP to buy?  

I've noticed that some of the Poljot versions have really long spokes that could maybe be cut down? But you'd have to have a poljot to steal it from. 

Or there's the cousins assortment. 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/shockproof-springs-wristwatch

We would need a historian to know, wouldn't we? Without someone who has already solved this sourcing issue successfully chiming in. 

I got a notion to do some detective work and see which other less-common antishock systems Tressa used, many of them seem to have a 3-toothed ring that looks a bit like what the watch wiki says is "bigalu" or maybe Kif Protechoc, but then i realized that just because Tressa worked with one vendor on several watches doesn't mean they worked with the same vendor on others. 

Not that we know who made "Bigalu" antishock anyway. 

many thanks for all your help guys, what a minefield

from what i can see could be 1 of many my best guess of the hundreds of possibilities at the moment is rubyshock.

doesn't look as if I will be able to positively identify it let alone source a replacement jewel  lol

I think my easiest bet is to find a donor 1903 incablock movement and swap over all the existing parts

• 3 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, avantbiy said:

Hi guys, I have been trying to service a Tressa AS 1906 movement only to find that its missing the upper top jewel for the balance. I guess this was a type they used before incabloc. I have attached a photo of the bottom balance jewel. as u can see it has a spring with 3 prongs protruding which hold the jewel in place when the prongs are placed under the collar.

I have also seen this type of shock protection on an Accurist ETA 2409.

I would be grateful if anyone can let me know the name of it and if there is anywhere i can get spares as I couldn't find them on cousins (probably because I don't know the name.

Many thanks

shock.jpg

bit late reply but its the same as the one im repairing at mo. the watch has antichoc wrote on the dial

28 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Can the shock device give a rough guide to year of manufacture or at least a final year of manufacture.

This is a  supershock on an AHO

IMG-20220522-WA0004.jpg

Thats an interesting looking design. Is the cap jewel held in place by the cage on the timing adustment ? You'd have a job losing it. Identifying the movement make and calibre is the best way barring any serial numbers and a listed database. But potentially Rich you could approx date a watch by the manufacturing years of a certain shock design if you could find that listed somewhere.  Not much use if it has a long span of manufacture or they've been stock piled, so not particularly a great way of dating a watch.

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thats an interesting looking design. Is the cap jewel held in place by the cage on the timing adustment ? You'd have a job losing it. Identifying the movement make and calibre is the best way barring any serial numbers and a listed database. But potentially Rich you could approx date a watch by the manufacturing years of a certain shock design if you could find that listed somewhere.  Not much use if it has a long span of manufacture or they've been stock piled, so not particularly a great way of dating a watch.

Antichoc 51 according to flume

Antichoc_51_Stoßsicherung.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1