Movement Service Question-Oiling

bklake

I think I know the correct answer but I have to ask.  Let's say you have serviced and oiled a movement.  For some reason you have to take it all apart to find the one different screw that was installed in the wrong spot.  All the pivots and parts were oiled, running well.  The before mentioned screw was the last one to be installed. 

Completely clean everything and start over?  I'm thinking the oils are now smeared all over the pivots and jewels so it is not correct. 

Off to redo this one.  I'm going to mark a tray with a correct spots for each screw type.  I have a feeling I've done the same thing before on a Seiko 6309.  The screw involved takes some serious study to see the difference.  The last time I did one of these, I put each screw, in order, on a strip of rodico.  This time I put all the screws in one container to clean.  Mostly as a lesson to learn to sort and identify them.  I need more practice with this. 

I started with a non moving, dirty, slightly rusted movement.  It is running pretty well now.  I did my best to peg the jewels but the old oil was crusted on well.  This gives me another shot at getting everything even cleaner. 

• Like 1

As @Nucejoe says, no need to redo the barrel. Nor the balance jewels.

And, as I'm only doing my own watches, I have left the keyless work in place, and cleaned the oil from the mainplate jewels by hand (with a fine brush) - first with rodico, then naphtha and Isopropanol.

Edited by mikepilk

Life is in the way but I plan to take it all apart and do a full service, I need the practice.  I have about 5 6309's to do before I get to the one I have been waiting to do.  I have a 6309-7049 that I purchased new in 1982.  It is in need of a service.  I've been through a lot with that watch and want to do it right. 

After I discovered the misplaced screw, one of the last ones to go in, I had it apart and back together in an hour.  Minus the oiling.  It's easy when everything is fresh in the mind.  Before I serviced this movement, the balance would make one swing and stop with a full wind on the barrel.  It's been running for days now. 

I found some time today and serviced this one again. 

Two interesting observations.  The fresh oil was very difficult to wash away.  There was still some oil oil the jewels after dipping and scrubbing with a small brush.  I thought fresh Moebius 9010 would dissolve easily.  It doesn't. 

When I removed the escape wheel, it looked like there was a blob of congealed oil on the pivot.  I dug out my stereo microscope for a closer look.  It looked like a gooey blob just above the pivot.  After a good scrub, most of it is gone but some remained.  I changed to 30x magnification and it turns out it is rusted.  The pivot is fine but the gear above it is rusted.  This rust and maybe a speck of debris basically sucked all the oil out of the jewel and it ran up the gear.  Enlightening.  And, I should have inspected the parts with the stereo microscope before.  Using a loupe, everything look just fine. 

Waiting for it to run in and see what I have for amplitude and timing. 

• Like 1