broken hairspring 2509HA

Hi chaps, just been given my dads old second watch that has a 2509ha movement, got it all cleaned and back together but the hairspring is broken (where it goes into the stud)

looked on eBay and can only find 2609ha movements . can I use the balance from one of those?

or is it possible to reconnect the one that is adrift ??

thanks in advance!

Dunc

Hi whats tp loose re pin the old spring, but then you will have to reset the beat. If you have some means of checking the watch (timegrapher or PC based or phone based Software) you will be able to check the beat error, The rate will be higher because of the shorter spring but it will give you good practise checking and adjusting.    all the best

If hairspring is shortened by a mm or two,  the oscilator will still be in beat if you move the beat adjustor arm clockwise to compensate for the shortened length, you would have beat adjustor and regualtor arm real close to each other and will shorten the terminal curve yet your oscilator will beat timely. 

A hairspring off of 2509ha might not be compatible with the 2609ha balance, simpley transferring hairsprings is unlikely to produce the design beat. 

Show a clear close up of the hairspring and cock installed in case you are not sure of your own assessment.

Are you sure that it's a 2509.HA, I don't think that I've ever come across a 25mm russian movement (the first 2 digits usually denote the movement size), Sekonda's of a particular period used a lot of Raketa 2609.HA movements.

Can you post a photograph of the movement?

Edited by Marc
typo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marc said:

Are you sure that it's a 2509.HA, I don't think that I've ever come across a 25mm russian movement (the first 2 digits usually denote the movement size), Sekonda's of a particular period used a lot of Raketa 2609.HA movements.

Google didn't bring 2509a either.

Have you worked on them? I haven't,  Dr ranfft shows real balance timing screws so its not doomed to run fast, is it? 

Regards

9 hours ago, Marc said:

chaps im so sorry to waste your time, it is a 2609.HA, I had looked at the number pre-cleaning (and it was filthy , it used to be my dads and he was a plasterers labourer, he has been dead 20 years and when I popped the back off could smell his cigarettes) 

1644655700120.jpg

Edited by dismaldunc

20 hours ago, dismaldunc said:

so I can reconnect it? I have a timegrapher app , and watched a vid on setting the beat. how do I reconnect it?

Be aware that as I had mentioned above, even if you reattach the HS, and correct the beat error, the HS will be then too short (think, there must be a reason why it was slightly longer), the watch will run too fast as in +10 minutes or more a day, and there will be nothing you can practically do to slow it down, because even if you posted no pictures of it, there are no timing screws on the balance. To properly repair it you will need a new balance complete, because even if you could get just a correct HS, it is a much of a delicate task and a beginner without experience and tooling is taking much risk in attempting it. At least this is my opinion, if I will be wrong I'll be glad to learn differently. Sorry to be blunt, I'm saying this just to set your expectations right. 

21 minutes ago, jdm said:

Be aware that as I had mentioned above, even if you reattach the HS, and correct the beat error, the HS will be then too short (think, there must be a reason why it was slightly longer), the watch will run too fast as in +10 minutes or more a day, and there will be nothing you can practically do to slow it down, because even if you posted no pictures of it, there are no timing screw on the balance. To properly repair it you will need a new balance complete, because even if you could get just a correct HS, it is a much of a delicate task and a beginner without experience and tooling is taking much risk in attempting it. At least this is my opinion, if I will be wrong I'll be glad to learn differently. Sorry to be blunt, I'm saying this just to set your expectations right. 

thank you JDM, I appreciate your knowledge and help, and I agree I think that would be well beyond my fledgling abilities! I have a movement on the way and hope to make a working (ish) watch out of the two. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dismaldunc said:

chaps im so sorry to waste your time, it is a 2609.HA, I had looked at the number pre-cleaning (and it was filthy , it used to be my dads and he was a plasterers labourer, he has been dead 20 years and when I popped the back off could smell his cigarettes) 

1644655700120.jpg

Some  cals are difficult to read! Recently spent ages looking for an Hattori VO588 quartz movement which was actually a VD58B !!