Longcase Bushes

RogerH

Hi All, just a quick question, are there specific bushes for longcase clocks? I have my old grandfather clock on the bench at the mo which is intermittently stopping. It turns out there is a bit of movement which is causing a lack of engagement through the going train. a couple of bushes should sort the problem however, I only have my trusty Bergeon Bushing kit which I use on Mantle clocks etc. Would these do or do I need something more specific?

30 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I guess it depends on the size of the pivots and the thickness of the plates.

But I'm sure OldHippy will recommend making your own from bushing wire.

I'm sure he will lol, however, I don't yet have that level of expertise so for now it's down to pre-made ones and broaching. It's more a case of are they specific or would a standard bush do?

45 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I'm sure he will lol, however, I don't yet have that level of expertise so for now it's down to pre-made ones and broaching. It's more a case of are they specific or would a standard bush do?

Do check out Cousins catalog. They do have some bushes for longcase clocks. But they are more for very large holes like those for the mainspring arbors.

• Like 1

I was going to start with the centre wheel. here's a picture which shows the clock in it's stopped position - you can just about see the great wheel and centre wheel are not properly engaged. Both have been bushed from a previous service (not by me) and I suspect they have inadvertently moved both parts away from where they should be. I was going to start with one and take it from there.

Depthing Error.jpg

here's another picture of the back plate - I posted this a while ago now (the clock was running ok at the time) but in my mind the state of the bushing looked awful! I wondered if this was standard for this type of repair - I have since come to learn that it can be but equally you can make them look a lot nicer with a bit more effort. The arrowed bush does have some movement in it so I think it's worn and being only just in the right place has little room for error.

Grandfather Clock Back Plate Bushes.jpg

I recommend this. You can hacksaw to size, easy to put a small taper on by using a fine needle file. The poor devil has been through the wars, nasty repair to the crutch and a very bad bush to the pallets that has been filed down.  The ones in red are causing the trouble as you point out with the red mark, I ones in red are ones that have been repaired and are not in my option good repairs, the one in blue also looks as if it need to be looked at, or it might be the photo. 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/876146296/clocks-bushing-wire-8x-hollow-brass?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_a-craft_supplies_and_tools-other&utm_custom1=_k_Cj0KCQiAxoiQBhCRARIsAPsvo-z3JTiNCS7-tDJkO_dMHZHGkRnHZOGqkDXXxv-udYjTyHwvGHyVK_waApRGEALw_wcB_k_&utm_content=go_6479444532_72974637810_380837596062_aud-371913912633:pla-295462056907_c__876146296engb_142203909&utm_custom2=6479444532&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxoiQBhCRARIsAPsvo-z3JTiNCS7-tDJkO_dMHZHGkRnHZOGqkDXXxv-udYjTyHwvGHyVK_waApRGEALw_wcB

1506651892_GrandfatherClockBackPlateBushes.jpg.32b15078b363cabc724d817d8ffe8873.jpg

• Like 2

I would say the best thing is you can make the bush to the size you need without removing too much of the original brass you can make the oil well to match the original, the thickness to the plate. All those things to me are a must. That is why I always made my own when I was capable of doing so. If your going to want to work on clocks a lathe is a must have. 

It's the 3 I have I have two both with the milling attachments and loads of accessories. Yo can do your re-bushing  on what you have I expect it's all most the same as the 3 if so it will take the center wheel of a longcase clock and it will also hold the barrel of a longcase clock. If you are a little bit apprehensive about using the tooling you could just use a file to get the right diameter and finish with a smooth emery stick. I suggest you start using the cutting tools on brass as it is much softer then steel.  

• Like 1

I always enjoy reading your posts and advice OH.

I look at the photos and make a mental list of faults I can spot and then read your post and you always spot something I miss.

I didn't even notice the repair to the crutch.