Jewels identification

Hello Black- and Locksmiths, Clock and Watchmakers,

could someone help me to understand the numbers for these packages please? They contain jewels the first one is 06 405/18 L40 with a hole in it diameter is 0.76 mm. The other one has cap jewels numbered as 06 163/20 L50 diameter is 1.1 mm. I have a lot more of these little packages, but I cant seem to find the relation between the numbering and the diameter or even the type of the jewel.

Take care,

Lui

IMG_20220202_231326_HDR.thumb.jpg.2516dbe3e05ddea9d55998fbd3e66d17.jpg

IMG_0169.thumb.JPG.a15ec82dfb90ff9eada7c2b5fc1acfaf.JPG

1 minute ago, luiazazrambo said:

Hello Black- and Locksmiths, Clock and Watchmakers,

could someone help me to understand the numbers for these packages please? They contain jewels the first one is 06 405/18 L40 with a hole in it diameter is 0.76 mm. The other one has cap jewels numbered as 06 163/20 L50 diameter is 1.1 mm. I have a lot more of these little packages, but I cant seem to find the relation between the numbering and the diameter or even the type of the jewel.

Take care,

Lui

IMG_20220202_231326_HDR.thumb.jpg.2516dbe3e05ddea9d55998fbd3e66d17.jpg

IMG_0169.thumb.JPG.a15ec82dfb90ff9eada7c2b5fc1acfaf.JPG

First number is the diameter and second number is the hole diameter. Like 163/20

9 hours ago, jdrichard said:

First number is the diameter and second number is the hole diameter. Like 163/20

Unfortunately its not the case. And the cap jewel has no hole. They are 0.76mm and 1.1mm so 0.76/1.1 should also match 163/405 should they use something else than a metric system, but 405 is more than double of 163.

Watching and learning here.

Measuring the outside seems easy enough (though I hate handling bare jewels like that; sproing city), but how does one measure the hole diameter? Are there expensive gauges out there one would need to hunt down to accomplish this?

1 hour ago, spectre6000 said:

Are there expensive gauges out there one would need to hunt down to accomplish this?

You could always improvise by inserting a fine tapered pin into the jewel until it starts to bind and then measure the taper at that point using calipers or a micrometer.

I have seen someone on Youtube using a gauge that worked on this principal, only the tapered pin was mounted in a sliding sleeve. You put the pin into the jewel as far as it would go, then as you continued to push the pin was pushed back into the sleeve until the jewel came up against the front of the sleeve. A pionter on the back end of the pin could then be read against a scale on the sleeve.

Probably a terrible description so if I can find the video again I'll post a link.

Here it is, about 25 seconds in.

Edited by Marc
Added a link.
  • Like 1

I was actively looking for this in the last two years or so because I just knew that this moment would come in my life when I needed it, I only saw it twice one on the UK and one on the German eBay site, i was hoping that I could put my hands on on a used one relatively cheap, but my hope was crushed by reality. Probably I missed another one or two. The one I was looking for was made by obama. Not the former US president, but I believe a German company? I also saw a jacot tool from them once.

Here we go I just found one jacot tool from them: obama jacot tool

And this is the jewel gauge: obama jewel gauge

I think the one shown in the video above is also an obama jewel gauge, its rare like unicorn poo.

Edited by luiazazrambo

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Perhaps he means this is wear between the pivot tip and the pivot, as though the jewel hole has worn though a section of pivot above the tip. This I've seen on one or two that i have restored, it makes the tip look vaguely mushroom shaped. 
    • Thank you Knebo, I will not hesitate to do so. And thanks for the other service tips. How to service the reversing wheels is fortunately well known and documented but the other tips were new to me so much appreciated! Well, I tried it. I even washed the ball before I tried it but even though I pulled so hard I almost turned blue in the face, the case back wouldn't budge. I can't understand why case-backs have to be screwed on so tightly. I had an Enicar where the only solution was to attach a nut to the case back with super glue and then unscrew it with a large wrench and even that was sluggish. Anyway, I don't want to superglue a nut to a Rolex case back! It just wouldn't feel right 🫤 Well, @JohnR725, after reading your comments, there is no doubt that a service is in order. Unfortunately, I have no history but I guess that an overhaul (or several) should have been done long ago, especially as the rotor shaft is worn out. Thanks also to both of you for all the PDF documents that I have now saved on my OneDrive. It will be very interesting to read them.
    • It looks like Ronda 4818 is the one you want. I can't find any reference to a shock protected staff. I've never heard of a pivot becoming domed. They are hardened so should only wear down, not deform. Do you have the means of taking a photo of it? Changing a staff is not that difficult. It's like a lot of skills in watchmaking, once you've done it a few times it becomes easy, but it's a bit scary the first time. There are plenty of Youtube videos showing how to do it.    
    • I was given a 1920s? Limit pocket watch in very poor condition a few days ago. The case back was very badly rusted with deep pitting. Someone on here advised me that the case was originally blued gunmetal, so I thought I'd see what was possible with it, to make it not quite so bad at least! Heat bluing seemed out, as the hinge looks to be brazed in place & I did not want to risk it falling apart!   I got a bottle of "Jenolite gun blue" to try. First, I sanded the back to remove all visible rust, working from 1000 down to 7000 grade. There was no visible brown at that but still remains of deep pitting, that I though would take too much metal off to fully remove. An ultrasonic clean in weak Ajax floor cleaner solution for a degrease, as I usually do with case parts, rinses in the ultrasonic then a wash with deionised water followed by IPA to ty and ensure no parts would be "un-wet" in the chemicals. The gun blue mixes 1:3 with deionised water, then soak the parts for 15 minutes; I used a glass jar just big enough to completely submerse the case, and moved it around every couple of minutes to try and ensure an even effect. I did the bezel with a cotton bud, flat in a jar lid, glass in, and the solution applied around the outside with a cotton bud every few minutes, so it did not get on the inner silvered surface.   Everything had a good rinse under the tap once done, then a brief deionised water rinse & dried. The finish it totally matt black as it comes out the solution, with the black sediment rubbing off on anything it touches! There were some traces or brown rust after it dried, so I tried boiling it for half an hour, as apparently that should convert brown rust to black??   Once everything had cooled and been dried out, I tried burnishing the surface with thick kitchen towel dry. That seems to work quite well, removing the loose particles and gradually brining it to a dull shine - but it's quite sensitive to pressure and a crease or fingernail pressure leaves a different level of shine to a smooth pad, until that wears through and creases.... It's not finished, my fingers are aching so giving it a break. I'm hoping the finish will even out with further burnishing, though the residual pits in the back are probably there for good & I'm not sure what to do about the traces of brown that have re-appeared. The instructions for the chemical blue say it should be oiled as soon as dry, then left to cure for 24 hours - but I'm not sure about soaking a watch case in oil? I did leave it overnight before boiling & burnishing.   It still need more work and detailing! But the effect looks promising.   Before:   After, still needing further burnishing. All the streaks are pressure marks, where the burnishing has smoother or removed more of the surface material. I'm hoping that a fine brush will clean the details and edges, where a cloth cannot do anything.            
    • This way removes the process of any material changing heat treatments . I assume the heat from spot welding is so localised it doesn't change any properties of the spring.