My first fix, almost, Timex, calendar stuck

Hi WRT, I know I probably should not have started with an old Timex as my first project, especially as I now have a desk covered in failed reassembly nightmares. However I have now managed to put my first example back together! Hours and hours to line up two plates. The watch is running and keeping time...ish, but the calendar will not turn over. I found info for the 104 movement, but this is the 105 with calendar. I really dont want to give up now, especially after all the crying and yelling I've been through. Thanks. Nick

20220127_132751.jpg

25 minutes ago, nickynoodles said:

Hi WRT, I know I probably should not have started with an old Timex as my first project, especially as I now have a desk covered in failed reassembly nightmares. However I have now managed to put my first example back together! Hours and hours to line up two plates. The watch is running and keeping time...ish, but the calendar will not turn over. I found info for the 104 movement, but this is the 105 with calendar. I really dont want to give up now, especially after all the crying and yelling I've been through. Thanks. Nick

20220127_132751.jpg

Ask @JerseyMo

• Like 1

Thank You Sir! I think that I may have lost that piece, Hmm that explains it. I have managed to take apart quite a few non runners, and many E-Bay mistakes. Then gave up trying to put them back together, just for my own sanity. After some time I saw some of your Timex posts online and this gave me the push to keep trying! I decided to invest in some nice screwdrivers and a few other decent tools and join WRT (At 60, my first social media of any kind) This is the first one I managed to get the little fork to stay in and get the wheel to go in position and somehow line up all the other parts in one go. (Exhausting!)

I think that nice one in your picture is a Marlin? I hope I will be able to do rebuilds like that, as I still have not got a Marlin, as nice examples are more expensive. I see that you replaced the crystal and somehow cleaned the face. Do you buy new crystals? Thank you again for taking the time and pictures. Nick

Hmm...I guess the benefit of honing one's skills on Timex watches is that there is virtually no downside.  BUT, a simple vintage (e.g., A.S.) watch is far less of a challenge IMO, and the knowledge gained is fungible.  Nevertheless, I applaud your courage!!  I have worked on a couple and pulled my hair out.  @JerseyMois a master with Timex and probably the only one in the free world.

Now, in the quartz world...I love the Expeditions.  I just put batteries in them, clean up the cases, put new crystal/glass and I have a nice watch.  Done a bunch of them and I wear them when I am on my tractor or changing the oil on my car.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Hmm...I guess the benefit of honing one's skills on Timex watches is that there is virtually no downside.  BUT, a simple vintage (e.g., A.S.) watch is far less of a challenge IMO, and the knowledge gained is fungible.  Nevertheless, I applaud your courage!!  I have worked on a couple and pulled my hair out.  @JerseyMois a master with Timex and probably the only one in the free world.

Now, in the quartz world...I love the Expeditions.  I just put batteries in them, clean up the cases, put new crystal/glass and I have a nice watch.  Done a bunch of them and I wear them when I am on my tractor or changing the oil on my car.

If you are really looking for a challenge, try an Accutron 214. You already have all the necessary tools for the job. 😏

I know you'll eventually succumb to it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this little trick will be helpful... I saw a video of a guy doing a disassemble and rebuild on an old Timex module and he used some scotch tape across the top plate before flipping it and putting the screws in. The tape held everything in place until he was able to screw it down. Worked out well for him and I will give it a go on my next Timex.

3 hours ago, Jimp said:

Hopefully this little trick will be helpful... I saw a video of a guy doing a disassemble and rebuild on an old Timex module and he used some scotch tape across the top plate before flipping it and putting the screws in. The tape held everything in place until he was able to screw it down. Worked out well for him and I will give it a go on my next Timex.

Never had to do that. To stop the plates from separating, just put one screw in after getting all the wheels in place. It isn't so difficult after you get the hang of it. 🤪

10 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Never had to do that. To stop the plates from separating, just put one screw in after getting all the wheels in place. It isn't so difficult after you get the hang of it. 🤪

That's the thing exactly though.. it's been my experience and if you know something different PLEASE tell me that as you are doing assembly on a Timex pin lever movement that all the train wheels and the balance all get installed on a single plate which gets screwed from underneath. In other words when you but the top plate on after everything is aligned in order to get a screw in you have to try and flip the movement without misalignment anything and get a screw in real quick to try and hold it. That's where the tape  comes in, before you flip it tape it down to hold the alignment until you can get to the screws which go in the back of the bottom plate. 

2 hours ago, Jimp said:

That's the thing exactly though.. it's been my experience and if you know something different PLEASE tell me that as you are doing assembly on a Timex pin lever movement that all the train wheels and the balance all get installed on a single plate which gets screwed from underneath. In other words when you but the top plate on after everything is aligned in order to get a screw in you have to try and flip the movement without misalignment anything and get a screw in real quick to try and hold it. That's where the tape  comes in, before you flip it tape it down to hold the alignment until you can get to the screws which go in the back of the bottom plate. 

Oh....I thought you were referring to an Electric movement. The pin lever types are even simpler. Instead of using a movement holder, use a rubber cushion ( doughnut ). Once the wheels have been aligned, put another cushion over it and pick the whole thing up like a hamburger and turn it over.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:51 AM, HectorLooi said:

Oh....I thought you were referring to an Electric movement. The pin lever types are even simpler. Instead of using a movement holder, use a rubber cushion ( doughnut ). Once the wheels have been aligned, put another cushion over it and pick the whole thing up like a hamburger and turn it over.

That's a good idea... I'd like to try that technique next time... what actually type of cushion do you recommend?

1 hour ago, Jimp said:

That's a good idea... I'd like to try that technique next time... what actually type of cushion do you recommend?

I use something like this.

SG$ 21.70 | 6pcs/Set rubber Watch Movement Holder Fixed Base Multi Function For Watchmaker Watch Clamp Watches Repair Tools Accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL4g8sy

Those actually look pretty cool.. I'm gonna order them. Thanks. 

Interestingly enough related/unrelated I'm working on a pin level movement right now... not a Timex though.. A ww2 German movement kienzle... very strange movement but made me think of Timex right away.