How to measure a watch movement BFG 866 ?

BillM

I'm working on an old BFG 866 movement (learning)! and lost 2 screws somehow.

I found a few movements on ebay, but don't know the size of the movement I have. 

Here's a photo before I disassembled it.

Thanks for any help!  

Bill

P3250177.1.jpg.f3d36856faa64ab52edee4ae69ae4bf5.jpg

Which screws did you lose? I have many. Here is the technical data for BFG 866

Baumgartner 866 Data
12 / 13.5''', Dm= 26.45 / 30.7mm
Do= 26.9 / 31.15mm
H= 4.65mm
(winding gear, lever cock +0.5mm)
F= 0.6mm
T= 2.3mm
1/17/21 jewels
f = 18000 A/h
power reserve 39h

Balance staff U2134 / U2133 / U2258
impulse jewel / impulse finger / tip pinions

Stem W2321

Mainspring / battery
1.15 x 13.0 x 0.135mm

Hands
1.89 x 1.09 x 0.28mm

You could go CSI on this ... that's Confounded Screw Investigation! 😉

Getting down on your hands and knees with a torch held obliquely to the floor can highlight a shiny screw ... or resort to a magnet.

As general advice: whilst getting specific screws is sometimes necessary if they're truly movement specific it can be worth considering a general assortment if you're going to continue this as a hobby. Here's what Cousins offer for instance: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/all-kinds-mixed-screws-wristwatch . I note you're in the States but a US supplier or ebay should still be able to assist (just make sure you're getting watch movement related screws rather than general small screws).

Edited by WatchMaker

I went CSI big time with a strong magnet and good lighting, no luck. 
I found the correct screw on eBay, $12 + shipping…from Poland.  I’m sue I’ll find the lost scew when I’m done working on this. Haha. 
I do have a small watch screw assortment I bought from Esslinger and can most likely get one from that to work for the dial screw.  

thanks for the help everyone.  
Bill. 

1 hour ago, BillM said:

I went CSI big time with a strong magnet and good lighting, no luck. 
I found the correct screw on eBay, $12 + shipping…from Poland.  I’m sue I’ll find the lost scew when I’m done working on this. Haha. 
I do have a small watch screw assortment I bought from Esslinger and can most likely get one from that to work for the dial screw.  

thanks for the help everyone.  
Bill. 

I was not fast enough to answer you, but I would have sent you setting lever screw and a dial screw for nothing except the shipping. I have dial screw for the jump hours dials, but I assume they are all the same for this movement.

J

6 hours ago, noirrac1j said:

I was not fast enough to answer you, but I would have sent you setting lever screw and a dial screw for nothing except the shipping. I have dial screw for the jump hours dials, but I assume they are all the same for this movement.

J

Well, I’d still be interested just in case the part I ordered gets stuck in customs or lost. 
thank you very much!