My "aha" moment

Ouch... were those two faults on the same watch? If so, I presume it had perhaps had a "water related incident" in the past.

I've seen similar on a lot of USSR era  Sekonda mechanicals, which have little if any protection from water ingress at the stem and as a result parts and pivots tend to rust and gum up near the stem.

This is often followed by some gorilla attempting to wind or set the thing with inevitable consequences.

If you are lucky, the stem will lock solid and nothing else will get damaged, but if not, then you are in trouble.

Edited by AndyHull

It's all the same watch, I don't have any other pictures. Aside from some slightly bent teeth on the ratchet wheel, the rest of the watch is in pretty good condition, The customer complained that it wasn't winding. There was zero end shake on the barrel due to it being jammed up. It's a common ETA 2892 so parts are pretty easy to get. I just had to share it with a community that would appreciate a pivot like that!

• 1 year later...