Vostock Amphibia Movement 2414a - Mainspring

Moose

Hi all.

I am looking to replace a broken mainspring from a 2414A movement, but Ranfft does not show spring dimensions for this movement.

Cousins has "obsoleted" the part it had listed, so no help there. Has anyone ordered a generic replacement mainspring from Cousins and could let me know what size they ordered, and if it was suitable ?

Edited by Moose

I bought one of those a couple of months ago. Fortunately it didn't need a mainspring. As you say it's not referenced on Cousins, Ranfft or the GR database !  

Easiest thing is to measure what you've got, and hope it hasn't been replaced with a wrong one.

18 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Easiest thing is to measure what you've got, and hope it hasn't been replaced with a wrong one.

Before taking it out to measure  look at it and see if it looks right? In other words it looks like it's the right width and the proportions filling the barrel look correct. So of casually visually looks right then measure it and that should probably work. But you will note my lack of enthusiasm recently I get a Hamilton pocket watch that the mainspring looked good good enough to reuse but the width of the T  and and the width of the spring was a little narrower that I would like so it didn't work out even if it looked right. The replacement definitely fit better and I didn't have to worry about the end popping out.

• Like 1

Thanks to both replies.

Well it's out anyway, as it was broken to start with. However it did look to be OK (proportion-wise) so I'm guessing it was/may be original.

The measurements do get a very close match to a one of the generic Cousins springs, so I have taken the chance and ordered one. We will see how that works out.

• 3 months later...

Hi Mike.

Yes, after measuring the bits of the old one, I fitted this one and it gives around 40 hours of reserve, so seems a perfect match.

GR Non-Automatic Mainspring 1.25 x .105 x 320 x 9.5

Cousins order code GR3126.

Moose.

Edited by Moose
  • Thanks 2

The best and most affordable option, IMO, is to get a barrel complete from either eBay or Meranom.com. They are usually around $5 each. Unfortunately, non seem to be available as of today.

I'm not 100 % sure, but I believe I've used a Generale Ressorts spring in one of these 2414s having the dimensions:
1.25 x .115 x 320 x 9.5. Cousins code GR3140 (almost twice the price of the spring suggested by @Moosethough 😒)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Dear all My first experience servicing a quartz watch after servicing as an hobby my mechanic watches for many years. This is an old Certina that was given to me by a friend, with  a ETA/ESA 9362 movement. Before service I put a new battery and the watch was working. After servicing the movement stopped working. i understand that there might be a lot of reasons for this (including the fact that I used technics and oils from mechanic movements on this one  ), but at this stage I would only need to check if the electronic module is good. Don't have a quartz tester but only a multimeter. You will see on the photos that the battery contact is broken and needs soldering. With the battery in the movement I can confirm that the electronic module had power (1.57v). Question: what basic tests can I do with a multimeter to confirm that the electronic module is good? how to check if the coil is good and if there is pulse in the electronic module? what contacts should I use to test it? (I saw some videos on you tube but was not able to find the specific test procedures for the ETA 9362). Any information to help me check if the reason for the movement to stop is on the electronic or mechanic part of the watch is much appreciated. Many thanks
    • Dear all My first experience servicing a quartz watch after servicing as an hobby my mechanic watches for many years. This is an old Certina that was given to me by a friend, with  a ETA/ESA 9362 movement. Before service I put a new battery and the watch was working. After servicing the movement stopped working. i understand that there might be a lot of reasons for this (including the fact that I used technics and oils from mechanic movements on this one 😞 ), but at this stage I would only need to check if the electronic module is good. Don't have a quartz tester but only a multimeter. You will see on the photos that the battery contact is broken and needs soldering. With the battery in the movement I can confirm that the electronic module had power (1.57v). Question: what basic tests can I do with a multimeter to confirm that the electronic module is good? how to check if the coil is good and if there is pulse in the electronic module? what contacts should I use to test it? (I saw some videos on you tube but was not able to find the specific test procedures for the ETA 9362). Any information to help me check if the reason for the movement to stop is on the electronic or mechanic part of the watch is much appreciated. Many thanks    
    • I have bought without seeing inside before and have generally been luck Michael. If its a screwback case i seem to allow some leniency on the removal of it, i dont know why because I've never struggled to remove a back with very basic equipment.   If everything is inside them, then once restored and keeping time the oris could be worth 20 -30 each, I've paid a lot more Oris date pointers in the past.
    • I use a nylon bristle from a brush to run around the coils or a thin piece of copper wire, you need .1 - .15mm.
    • I actually sent a message to him on eBay asking exactly that. They all look like snap-on casebooks so should be easy enough to get the photos.