How do I get the glass front of this mantle clock

TimEwins

Hi My Mantle Clock stopped working years ago, it was a present from my Mother, who had sadly passed away.

So I want to repair it.

The clock is a Comitti Of London  Mantle Clock in Mahogany .... and was reasonbly expensive when purchased.

It does however, simply have a standard quartz movement.

To replace the movement, I think I need to remove the glass from the from the front of the clock, I am nor sure how its attached, there are no screws or fittings.

Before I try to prize it off, I was wondering if there is a better way of doing this?  I don't  want to damage the Mahogany.

If its too difficukt, I will just take it to a repairer.

Any ideas? Screen shots included.

Thanks in advance

Tim

clock2.jpg

clock1.jpg

clock3.jpg

Hi TimEwins,

traditionally a brief introduction and a little bit about yourself is always nice to have before delving into the depths of knowledge.

These movement are generally attached by a nut on the front underneath the hands so the hands will have to come off which would suggest the front glass should come off with a bit of effort....but be gentle!

the movements themselves are widely available but make sure you measure the depth of the thread and width etc as there are a lot of versions out there. good luck.

It looks like a friction fitted bezel. I would use a sheet of cardboard or plastic to protecr the wood and use a pry tool that looks like a mini crowbar. Find a point where there is a gap between the bezel and bodywork and insert the tool as far as it would go and lever upwards gently. Go all around the bezel slowly, taking care not to slip and mar the bezel.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, just ask.

The bezel with glass will just come off. Looks like the center nut for the movement is under the dial, the dial might have sticky tabs to hold it in place. Replacing the movement you need to measure the length of the center shaft, be careful if you get one that is too long the hands will rum on the glass, it needs to be as near as possible to the original. You can always use packing on the replacement movement if its a little long.