Finally interested in watches...

toddho

Been fixing clocks for about 15 years and always hated working on clocks with balance wheels.  Perhaps that is why I stayed away from watches.  Watches don't seem to have pendulums.  Design flaw?  Obviously just kidding...  Anyway, new here and excited to jump in.

Willkommen!!!  Enjoy the resources of our forum.  Feel free to share pictures also of your favorite watches.  Many of us have grown fond of the beautiful way a watch's balance wheel works, you know.  We enjoy watching the way a well-made hairspring expands and contracts evenly ("breathing" we often call it) and respect the way a bimetallic compensating balance can adjust to changes in the temperature wherein it finds itself, and how the timing screws are placed to put it in perfect balance, perfect poise.  Be aware, you could on this forum gain as much fascination for watches just by hanging out with us.  But know also - we have a clock section too.  Something for all timepiece lovers.  Have fun! 

Hello and welcome to the forum  I fix both clocks and watches and enjoy doing both as I am sure you will once you get into it. The tooling is a little different as is the lubrication which you will appreciate. A whole new ball game   I have attaced a couple of documents for your interest. And as Karl said just ask the questions someone will know the answer for sure. We have all shades on the forum from beginners to professionals who are always willing to help.

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  The docs from watchweasol are fantastic.  Just what I need.  I have only resurrected two pocket watches so far and frankly I am a bit worried.... This may become addictive!!! (and take up a lot less room)😁