Swatch automatic chronograph - how to open the case?

Stian

Hi gurus, 

A friend asked me to service his Swatch chronograph and I just wanted to check with the knowledgeable crowd on how the case is opened. It seems that there's a slot for a case knife/similar at the red circle, but maybe someone knows better? The watch has an ETA C01.211 movement, so I'm thinking it should be serviceable but maybe it's also not?

-- 
Best regards,
Stian

20211105_172756.jpg

Inked20211105_172813.jpg

Edited by Stian

Hi apparently the base module of the C01.112  is the Lemania 5100 which is also used in the omega 1045 so help you on your way find attached some tech information.  The area indicated does look like a pry point for the case back removal, but as always proceed with caution           cherrs  

5188_Lemania5100_Technical Instructions_Smaller (4).pdf 1283_Omega1045 (3).pdf

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi apparently the base module of the C01.112  is the Lemania 5100 which is also used in the omega 1045 so help you on your way find attached some tech information.  The area indicated does look like a pry point for the case back removal, but as always proceed with caution           cherrs  

5188_Lemania5100_Technical Instructions_Smaller (4).pdf 2.64 MB · 0 downloads 1283_Omega1045 (3).pdf 429.16 kB · 0 downloads

Hello Watchweasol, 

Thanks for your response and I'm familiar with the movement. Maybe I wasn't clear enough when posting my question, but it is more for the case and for Swatch as a brand, given that most of their watches from what I know are sealed and not meant to be opened. If that is so, then would anyone know if this case IS meant to be opened given that the movement is of decent quality? 

--
Best regards,
Stian

3 minutes ago, Stian said:

Then would anyone know if this case IS meant to be opened

Yes, an automatic Swatch they can normally be opened and serviced. Even if their marketing would probably expect that their typical customer would just buy a new one.

18 minutes ago, jdm said:

Yes, an automatic Swatch they can normally be opened and serviced. Even if their marketing would probably expect that their typical customer would just buy a new one.

Hi jdm, 

Thanks a lot for confirming that! Would you have any view on how to open this particular case?

-- 
Best regards,
Stian

49 minutes ago, jdm said:

Yes, an automatic Swatch they can normally be opened and serviced

with some exceptions, notably the System 51 range, although the same philosophy could extend beyond the S51's.... check out here where some serious machinery had to be used to open the watch with no hope of re-assembly.

That being said I would be inclined to agree with @watchweasol that the indicated area area suggests a pry point between a plastic case and a steel back, so hopefully should open.

6 minutes ago, Marc said:

with some exceptions, notably the System 51 range

I have what probably was a system 51 with the 2840, was straightforward to open, maybe there are different types. Gladly binned all parts but the mov.t which I want to use in a decent case.

6 minutes ago, jdm said:

I have what probably was a system 51 with the 2840, was straightforward to open

In which case I stand corrected 🙂. I just remember being horrified that any mechanical watch movement should be imprisoned in such a way as to render it unservicable.

This one does look as though it should open though.

Wilst we were all debating the state of the industry Swatch as producing this type of watch that is according to Christian "Total Crap", well stuck in a case that you have to go tho those lengths to open and the some what  peculiar design ie  Non removal stem, balance non adjustable, use of plastic in escape wheel and pallet,bascically means non serviceable / disposable which to my mind is a waste of materials (not very green credentials there). Plastic case by all means, even plastic parts but make the thing repairable. we are trying to save the planet not bury it under duff Swatch watches. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Wilst we were all debating the state of the industry Swatch as producing this type of watch that is according to Christian "Total Crap", well stuck in a case that you have to go tho those lengths to open and the some what  peculiar design ie  Non removal stem, balance non adjustable, use of plastic in escape wheel and pallet,bascically means non serviceable / disposable which to my mind is a waste of materials (not very green credentials there). Plastic case by all means, even plastic parts but make the thing repairable. we are trying to save the planet not bury it under duff Swatch watches. 

Yeah, that is one junk watch he dissected there. I'm all for innovation in the world of mechanical watches to make them affordable to a new generation of young buyers, but another "dolllar watch" approach is in my view the wrong way to go. The Chinese can churn out decent mechanical movements for a few dollars, so the Swiss should be able to also if they really want to. I for one think they shouldn't though, the Swiss economy is not built for mass production of cheap c**p, they should focus on higher value pieces.