6497 balance wheel fitting issues

Hey everyone, 

I have just started on this journey to someday be able to oil and service my own watches. And on this journey, be able to appreciate the mechanical wonders that make the watch tick.

I have begun by getting a clone 6497 movement to practice. Just so I don't mess my own watches up. Thank goodness for that because here comes trouble and.... some loss of hair..!

I have been trying to reassemble the wheel of trains and train wheel bridge. However, the top end of the escape wheel does not seem to 'touch' the bridge. The other wheels seem to be able to move freely, seem to be connected properly, and are at the same height. However, the escape wheel arbor seems to be shorter as compared to the fourth and center wheels.

Did I assemble it wrongly?

Thanks in advance!

20211103_165952.jpg

20211103_165810.jpg

Screenshot_20211103-234248_Gallery.jpg

20211103_170056.jpg

20211103_170210.jpg

20211103_170348.jpg

Screenshot_20211103-234311_Gallery.jpg

Edited by techwannabe

Hi From your pictures I say that the top pivot of the escape wheel is broken off hence it is unable fit into the plate and wobbles.  I take it this is a Chinese clone if so parts are difficult if not impossible to fine/get unless you can find a donor watch.    cheers

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, techwannabe said:

Did I assemble it wrongly?

Yes possibly screwing down or pressing the main bridge with the escape wheel upper pivot not in the hole, hence breaking it.

Watches have very little tolerance to mistakes. Proceed with extreme caution, do not ever force anything or make assumptions without verifying well first. The bridge must fall in place almost by itself, and even before it does, just touching any of the wheel must get all the others moving.

• Like 3

Thanks for your prompt responses, gents.

That explains why I just cannot get to sit properly. Fortunately I bought this movement to work on, just so I can avoid breaking the movements that are much harder to replace. Lesson learnt!! To ensure all sits well avoid forcing any parts down. Thanks a lot for sharing your tips!

Hi what happened to has probably happened to all of us at some time. A little advice when fitting bridges etc is place the bridge in position and put in a couple of screws very loosely just to hold the plate on position then wiggle the pivots into the jewels / holes with light finger pressure(wear a cots on the fingers). the tool I use is a needle in a handle bent at the tip around 40 Deg  use cheap needles they are soft.   good luck with the next project,  By the way try working on pocket watches first  they are larger and easier to handle.    cheers 

Hey!  Other noob here, too, and am working on a similar if not same movement.

Depending on the clone you got, you may have a two part bridge for the train.  Mine has a bridge that goes over the train and then a cock that goes over the escapement wheel.  Pictured here with the bridge installed but not the cock.

If you have the same clone, it may be that you're fitting the bridge over the escapement wheel which is where it doesn't go.  Hope this helps!  If not, sorry for the interruption.

20211029_184410.jpg

On 11/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, watchweasol said:

Hi From your pictures I say that the top pivot of the escape wheel is broken off hence it is unable fit into the plate and wobbles.  I take it this is a Chinese clone if so parts are difficult if not impossible to fine/get unless you can find a donor watch.    cheers

I agree with watchweasol. Looks like there is a difference between the 2nd and 5th photo in regards to the length of the lower pivot. Maybe check the jewel hole for evidence of a broken piece ?

You might also check the corresponding jewel in the bridge plate to see that it hasn't loosened and increased the endshake. Some cheaper movements don't always have good jewel setups. Best of luck !

Randy

On 11/3/2021 at 8:46 AM, techwannabe said:

I have begun by getting a clone 6497 movement to practice. Just so I don't mess my own watches up.

The easiest way to get the necessary parts for this would be to purchase another practice movement. Fortunately there relatively cheap which is why there used for practice movements.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, watchweasol said:

I take it this is a Chinese clone if so parts are difficult if not impossible to fine/get unless you can find a donor watch. 

Another minor issue with cloned watches are technically it's not a 6497? Yes I know on eBay were currently I'm looking at the prices Ralph $40 each which is a bargain for what they are and yes it says there 6497's but in real life they are 6497-2. That little bit of a difference at the end of the number changes some of the parts. If you look at the advertisements will tell you the frequency is 21,600 this is a higher frequency version of the 6497.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:27 AM, jdm said:

The bridge must fall in place almost by itself,

One of the things to try when your new is tried putting the plates on without the wheels and get a feel for that. It would be nice if the plates would fall in place but they don't always. For instance I find sometimes with American pocket watches the plate requires way too much force just because of manufacturing tolerances back then. The problem is if you're trying to force a plate on the chance of breaking Pivots increases. Just try putting the plates on first see how they feel. Then When you get a feel for that then you can start putting the wheels underneath the make it easier to notice if your pushing on something you shouldn't unless it's escape wheel pivot or the pallet fork pivots are really easy to break off and you probably won't even notice at all if you've done it until afterwards.

• Like 2