Hi ALL newbie here!

Hi Everyone!

I am so chuffed to discover that there is this sort of forum.

I have been interested in clocks and watches for quite a while now and bought myself a few tools a while back. not having any knowledge I bashed around in the dark a bit with not much success so rather confined myself to always trying to buy clocks and watches that ran.

But even doing that I came a cropper when the ones I bought sometimes ran for a while then stopped and would only work again if I gave them a flick of the wrist in the same plane as the balance. 

Nevertheless, I do have some cracking timepieces amongst which a WW1 instrument panel clock, which runs fine and an early Metamec 701 wind up clock from batch 8. which looks beautiful but suffers from the above problem. I have posted elsewhere about this so will not double post.

Looking forward to exploring the forum and reading lots of stuff which may help to reignite my enthusiasm. 

Cheers

Stan

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hello forum, I have just joined the forum and I believe it is the done thing to introduce myself.  I am based in Surrey UK and am essentially a complete novice at watch repair.  Fairly life long interest in watches, starting from not being allowed one as a child as I kept taking them apart… After watching a you tube video of a watch service, I thought to myself “I could do that…”. Well I got myself a Seiko 7002 dive watch that was a non runner. Striped cleaned and reassembled. With much blaming of tools, dropped parts and feeling out of my depth I got it working again. I built my own pressure tester and it leaked like a sieve! fixed now though.    I’ve since done a few 7002’s and an NH35A with mostly success. But now I’m left with quite a few working movements and no budget for cases. Overall my lack of a timegrapher has really hampered things and efforts using phone apps have been disappointing.    I next moved to an ETA 2472, all went well until I snapped the stem after failure to find a suitable case for it. Alas replacements seem almost the price I paid for the movement! Hopefully I’ll stumble on a suitable one one day.   Currently working on a Smiths 512 pin pallet movement. All went well until the shock protection. My goodness they are tricky compared to all the others and now I’m down one shock spring. This was my first movement I’d done with no video or walkthrough or even manual for backup. So I was pretty pleased with my self, briefly.  Well, that’s me and my watch repair journey.    Rob    
    • Something odd is going on with email notifications. As I posted above with the screenshot, when I checked my notification settings I saw that somehow the option to send an email notification in addition to the browser notification was not selected, even though previously that had been working for me. So I selected the email option, in addition to the two top options of automatically following new content I post or reply to. I did not get an email notification for your post (I did get the browser notification), which I should have (it does show me as subscribed to this thread) and when I went to look again at my notification setting, the board software has again unchecked the email notification option (in addition to the two top automatically follow options). The below left is a screenshot of how it was setup after my last post and the right is how it was just now when I rechecked. For some reason the board is resetting this preference on its own.
    • I feel like I've achieved the next level up 😅 . First watch with homemade part installed ( setting lever ). FHF 73, not bad to work on, simple and sturdy, and part working perfectly.  An Avia and in time for this year's Olympics.  It has a teenage dial ( bit spotty ) 😅
    • We need to know the caliber. 
    • I am.  On my phone just using the bell symbol, I don't bother with email notifications.  Actually I  stopped receiving email notifications a long time ago, I  don't remember cancelling them.