New to the group, grew up as the son of a watchmaker.

KevinR

I’m 59 years old and grew up in the jewelry business. My father owned a jewelry store all my life I worked for him many years doing repair work.

he learn how to do watch repair in the Navy during World War II, he worked on a navy ship repairing instruments and the gentleman who taught him was a Watch repairman by trade. He went on after the Navy working in a jewelry store in Dallas Texas doing watch repair then later bought his own jewelry store. 

I started working for him in the mid to late 70s and wanted to learn the repair business for watches but that was also the time when quartz watches were becoming big in the market and he was losing a lot of business in the watch repair side. He did not want to teach me the watch repair business because he said I would never make any money at it as people or more and more moving to quartz watches. At the time I guess to him it made sense. Later when more people were moving back to automatics and hand wind movements his health was not that great and did not really teach me. Over the years I learned a little bit on my own but still don’t know a lot.

I have always had a fascination with watches and still do to this day, I have owned everything from Timex to Rolex’s and just recently bought an old Stowa that I’m trying to work on. I’m having an issue with the timing on it which I will bring up in another section on the forms.

Glad to be here, Kevin 

Edited by KevinR
Spellcheck
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...